Thread: Whats everyones opinion on the TLR6?

Feedback Score

Whats everyones opinion on the TLR6?

Looking at picking up a Streamlight TLR6 for my 43 and i have some questions.

1. The design doesn't look that water resistant.
    2. The buttons look a little far foward.
    3. How secure is it?

Looking for Pros/Cons from people who own these and use them.
    Last edited by Yeetster; 07-30-19 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have, or have had, several on a few different guns. Basically:

Pros
    - It's secure on the gun.
    - They're cheap.
    - Streamlight's CS has been very good to me in the past.
    - I like the form factor.
    - Controls / ergonomics are ok, better than I expected given the lack of paddles.
    - They're durable enough...
    - I'm glad they're now offering them without the laser.
    - It's better than nothing, and I'm not aware of any superior alternatives for this application.

Cons
    - Battery life isn't very good.
    - Output is barely adequate enough to even justify having it.
    - I haven't found any compatible holsters that I really like - that much is subjective. What's not subjective is that it does significantly reduce your options.
    - It is not waterproof at all, and severe moisture intrusion kills the light.

To clarify, I've never broken one from "normal" use, i.e. training, everyday carry, etc. and I've found that sweat and humidity is no problem for them in my experience, but jumping in water with it on for <1 minute to save an inattentive parent's kid from drowning kills the module. Take my word for it.

Ultimately I prefer better holster options and superior, albeit separate, handheld lights for EDC vs. carrying TLR-6 equipped guns, but they are handy to throw on when I'm wearing gym shorts and just need to run to the mailbox or something. If this is your only carry gun, I'd only opt for it if you already know you'll be satisfied with the existing holster options and plan to carry a backup light.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 07-30-19 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had one develop cracks in the housing with normal use. Streamlight CS promptly replaced it.

Con list above includes my other observations.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Good data points, i'm in for one to see what they're about. I'm new to WML on CCW handguns, but having bought one for my glock 17 i like the idea and having another tool in the arsenal should i ever need it.

Feedback Score
    Ditto on above. It is pretty poor excuse for a weapon light, except there isn’t anything else that compares.

Recently had the thin plastic shell crack and fall off my handgun (in the last month’. I cannot say I was surprised, but that was after three years, hundreds of draws and thousands of 9mm rounds downrange. A single call to Streamlight got a replacement shell in about ten days.

All in all, it is a backup light get mounted on your gun. 100 lumens was a bigger deal in the 1990’s, today it is barely adequate to clear a compact place such as my home (where you generally don’t need a light anyways). The momentary switch generally isn’t... frustrating switch process. Numerous compromises in the design make it suboptimal.

If I had my way, it should have (1) a better switch solution closer to the trigger, (2) twice as many lumens and (3) be built more stoutly. I would also expect to pay about twice as much and I would. That said, I praise Streamlight for making something this small and upping the innovation game.

If Surefire is reading, one of their 300 lumen Sidekicks in a TLR6 shell would be awesome.

Feedback Score
    Ditto also, hoping that Olight or some other manufacturer produces something rechargeable at least 300 lumen with good candela and a better switch design.

Feedback Score
    I would skip it and either carry a gun that can support a real light or go with a good handheld light. Everyone with the TLR6 I have seen at training (admittedly not very many) has struggled severely. The lumens and candela just isn't there.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one on my P938. But I hated the laser option. I ran it so both the light and laser came on, since in case it switched modes, the next one was light only. On light only, the next mode is laser only.

AIM Surplus had them for sale with just the light cartridge. Swapped that out of the Glock version, so it would be easier to sell. End result... P938 TLR-6 with only light.

Is it great? No, but for a gun the size of the P938... it works great. I run the Lasermax weapon light on my S&W 642 (J-frame), which is comparable.

Feedback Score
    For the size, its not that bad. Works better than nothing especially considering the size of the pistol. I have had one for about 18 months and have only had to replace the battery.