I have a question about elk hunting with a 300 WM. I am going elk hunting in Colorado next year and I'm probably going to be shooting my 300WM. I really like the ELD-X factory round and also shoot it in my .308 and 7mm08. The Hornady factory 300WM is a 200gr ELD-X round. I'm not positive where we are hunting so I'm not sure about what distances I can expect to be shooting at. I know the 300WM is more than enough gun but it would also give me the ability to take a good animal out to 500 yards easily. I shoot a lot out to 600 yards now with my .308 so I'm not worried about taking game at that distance. My buddies are shooting Tikka T3's in 6.5CM. I'm tempted to take my 7mm08 and shoot that. It's a Win Mod 70 Extreme Weather. The only issue I have with it is that if I see a shooter bull at 400-600 yards and can't get any closer it's not enough gun at that distance. 300 yards and in no problem at all. Although the 7mm08 weighs about 1 1/2lbs less than my 300WM so walking all day will be a lot easier with that rifle.

So if anyone has had any experience with the Hornady 300WM 200gr ELD-X I'd like to hear about it. If there is another factory round that may be better I'd like to hear those recommendations also. What do y'all think about the 7mm08 for elk? I'd be shooting the 150gr ELD-X in that caliber.