Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300WM and Elk walk in hunt

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Thanks for the info about Rokslide!
    Absolutely brother, you’re going to love hunting out west, especially elk.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding gear. I do backpack style hunting, so all my gear is based on that, just for reference.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I just finished reading a 33 page thread on Longrangehunting about the Berger 215's and talk about impressive! One thing I got from the thread was that the OP BROZ felt this was a 500 yard and out round. He did take an elk at 200 yards and it basically liquified the vitals of the elk but didn't exit. He didn't start seeing exit wounds until the 500 yard range or so. Although everything he shot was DRT. This was an old thread that was started back in 2012. Very impressed with how this round did. He was shooting handloads and the velocities were a good bit faster than factory loads. I'm probably wrong but I would think that with factory loads and the velocity being about 200fps slower than what BROZ had done his handloads up for that 500 yard and beyond distance he said would decrease a bit. Regardless I'm going to have to get a couple of boxes and see how my rifle shoots with them.

As far as the Hornady is concerned aren't the ELD-X bullets different than the ELD-M bullets? I thought they had a thicker jacket than the ELD-M's
    The Eldx didn't hold together for me at 150 yards. Broadside. Lungs. Didn't even exit the other side on a cow elk. I was not impressed. Animal died, but zero blood. Couldn't find enterance until I skinned her. Absolutely no exit. Bullet lost about 65 percent of it's weight. It died but not what I was hoping for. The 178gr eldx I haven't had good results with out of a 308 on cow elk either. Almost same as above. I since have not shot any more elk with the eldx. The 143gr eldx hammered a mule deer buck last year on a 6.5cm. 100 yards. Right in the wheelhouse. Pass through and buck didn't go more then 15 yards.

If you must use the ELDx, I would only shoot the 212s. I saw a few elk down with those last year but didn't perform as well as the Berger 215s.

One thing with all these bullets is that I wouldn't try to anchor a bull down in the front shoulder inside 100 and expect the same results as the accubond or partition or other tired and true bonded bullet.. I go for vitals/double lung, behind the shoulder pocket and have never lost an animal when I put it there. I've seen guys try to shoulder punch bulls and miss on the front side a few more inches then they like, and not recover the animal. The 215 does better then the 212 eldx even on bone from what I've seen. But I'm also only a sample of one guy.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-02-19 at 13:17.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    JW,

I figured you’d chime in and glad you did.

What round would you feel comfortable with for 6.5CM that also has good BC for long range accuracy? This would be for elk sized game.
    140gr of your choice. I prefer the Accubond if your gun likes them. But I only shoot deer with 6.5 rifles. Just moved to a 6.5 PRC with the Berger 156gr Elite hunters

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Watrdog... Shoot me a PM. I'll send you some 215s to try out.

My go to hunting rifle... my 300 win mag.. shooting the 215s at 2910 or so. 74 ish gr (have to check notes) may be 75 gr of H1k in ADG brass with cci250s.

The 300 PRC slings em a little faster at 2975 with 79.26gr of H1k.

If you have RL26 you can more velocity but really not needed for a hunting rifle and these pills. Keeping it at 2900 works really well at closer distances with excellent results.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-02-19 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Absolutely brother, you’re going to love hunting out west, especially elk.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding gear. I do backpack style hunting, so all my gear is based on that, just for reference.
    I've been archery elk hunting once in SW Montana. Saw a ton of elk we just couldn't get within 50 yards or so to take a shot. I'll definitely hit you up for gear advice! Thanks

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Shoot me a PM. I'll send you some 215s to try out.

My go to hunting rifle... my 300 win mag.. shooting the 215s at 2910 or so. 74 gr of H1k in ADG brass with cci250s.

The 300 PRC slings em a little faster at 2975 with 79.26gr of H1k.

If you have RL26 you can more velocity but really not needed for a hunting rifle and these pills. Keeping it at 2900 works really well at closer distances with excellent results.
    Unfortunately I don't reload. I've been looking online and it looks like I can find the Berger 215's pretty easily. One thing I love about my rifle so far is that it's been =/- than MOA with multiple types of ammo. After getting it back from Hill Country Rifles they included a Hornady 180gr interlock target with a 3 shot group of .31" I've shot the old Federal 150gr TBBC out of it and that came in with 5 shot groups less than an inch. What was really surprising is Federal used to load a 135gr round at 3400fps that also shot less than an inch out of my rifle. I used that for deer here down south. I'm interested to see how the Bergers shoot out of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12