Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Competition double action spring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Colt Competition double action spring.

I bought a Colt Competition this weekend and was a bit surprised when I did the initial cleaning that it has 2 action springs. One thin one that goes inside a larger spring.

I read that it helps with recoil control but I favor reliability over recoil reduction. Would it be a smart idea to change out that system with a regular spring and guide rod?

I've shot roughly 250-300 rounds through it so far and it runs good.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yep.

Pitch the OEM springs/GR and install appropriate weight (you didn't mention if it's .45 or 9mm) RS, conventional GI Recoil Spring Plug and Guide Rod.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Why not live on the edge and keep shooting with the dual recoil spring for 1000 rounds and see how it goes. After that if you don't like the set up you can go to the old conventional single recoil spring. Just sayin' , I know it's radical.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple thousand on mine. Zero issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The dual recoil spring set up was developed for the M45A1. I can think of no reason why it would have been adopted if it did not offer similar or superior reliability to the USGI M1911/M1911A1 spring system.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    You know there are those who shoot .40 cal LOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The dual recoil spring set up was developed for the M45A1. I can think of no reason why it would have been adopted if it did not offer similar or superior reliability to the USGI M1911/M1911A1 spring system.
    Cool. I just looked up that info. That makes me feel better about the system. Everything else I read before said it was a competition product.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I changed mine out because if I wanted to replace the spring I don’t wanna wait a year for back ordered Colt parts to come in. When it comes to AR15s and 1911s, I like standard parts.

Feedback Score
    I would like to know more about this. Does this second spring work with any standard diameter buffer spring? Does it just slip in? What are the downsides to this second spring? If it mitigates felt recoil does it alter the cycling of the rifle in some way?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I would like to know more about this. Does this second spring work with any standard diameter buffer spring? Does it just slip in? What are the downsides to this second spring? If it mitigates felt recoil does it alter the cycling of the rifle in some way?
    This is referring to a 1911 pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast