Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got me an ACR!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    This is one of the only "could have been" rifles out there, if a reputable company had picked it up.
    Like Sig?

Quote Originally Posted by farmhard View Post
    How does the recoil impulse compare to other 5.56 rifles? Also is the bolt lock release stiff or hard to actuate?
    It’s lighter in recoil but I have pinned MAAMs so I’m sure that does help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    Cool rifle man! I've wanted one since I saw pictures of the Masada in a magazine article by Patrick Sweeney. The control layout seems really, really nice. Pretty much ideal. The tool less barrel change and the looks are just plain sexy.

I have a dream that someday I'll build a Masada clone out of one with a pinned 14.5" pencil barrel and find a way to get the weight down to what was originally advertised. I wonder: does the added weight come entirely from the carrier and barrel profile, or are there other changes from the Masada? I nerd out on those kinds of details for some reason.
    I really think it’s the barrel more so than anything else. The carrier is heavy but it doesn’t seem heavier than my G36/SL8 conversion or 805 Bren.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I think the assumption at the time was that Bushmaster, in it's desire to cut all the corners, simply used what it already had lying around - namely non-chrome lined, 1/9 twist 16" M4 style barrels.
    They have actually fixed that on the new ones. WHich is why I am considering one. Barrels are 1/7 now and don't have an M4 cut.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not that it applies to me but you can purchase a 6.8 APC barrel assembly directly from Bushmaster which is pretty cool.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This was one of the coolest concepts as the Masada its a shame it didnt work out in reality.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Biggest problem I've had with mine is poor fit of mags to mag well. Shooting monopod prone often causes the mag to hit the bottom of the bolt carrier. This will shave material off plastic mags and shave finish and/or deform metal feed lips. Along the same lines, the feed lips are unsupported in the ACR so rounds can pop out during an open bolt reload.

In the ACR's defense, the gun was designed and spec'ed around the original Magpul magazine. The one that was too big for some brands of AR and wouldn't always drop free. As Magpul has tweaked the PMAG over the years, the ACR has failed to evolve.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I think the assumption at the time was that Bushmaster, in it's desire to cut all the corners, simply used what it already had lying around - namely non-chrome lined, 1/9 twist 16" M4 style barrels.
    Everything about the ACR barrel assembly is custom, so nothing was "laying around", it was all intentional. You should have felt the anger in the room during our pre-SHOT 2009 Bushmaster/Magpul meeting when the Magpul team learned the specs of the gun. We were PISSED. Example of one exchange I remember:

Magpul: "Why did you specify 1:9 twist?"
    Bushmaster: "That's our best selling twist rate."
    Magpul: "That's your ONLY twist rate!"
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    This was one of the coolest concepts as the Masada its a shame it didnt work out in reality.
    To be fair, if the gun hadn't been licensed to someone, it would have never been made. The Masada was badass, but was nowhere near ready for production. Remington had to essentially reengineer much of the platform to make it reliable and manufacturable.
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Yeah unfortunately things like this kind of doomed the ACR from the start, at least to the public’s eye. Yet in ways it was ahead of its time. Now everyone accepts nitride/qpq/melonite as a good barrel treatment, but back then people were livid that the barrel was not chrome lined.

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Everything about the ACR barrel assembly is custom, so nothing was "laying around", it was all intentional. You should have felt the anger in the room during our pre-SHOT 2009 Bushmaster/Magpul meeting when the Magpul team learned the specs of the gun. We were PISSED. Example of one exchange I remember:

I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Yeah unfortunately things like this kind of doomed the ACR from the start, at least to the public’s eye. Yet in ways it was ahead of its time. Now everyone accepts nitride/qpq/melonite as a good barrel treatment, but back then people were livid that the barrel was not chrome lined.
    Not everyone.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post

Why the M4 profile than? At least on a civilian AR, the M4 profile, while basically useless....is at least..kind of an established, recognizable feature of AR platform weapons. But on the ACR it seemed just *completely* illogical. I mean the "step" was almost hidden by the handguard IIRC.
    I think that's why I always bought the anecdote that Bushmaster was just using existing stuff they had surplus amounts of.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast