Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RDS for Lightweight/Simple Carbine That's Not Aimpoint

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

RDS for Lightweight/Simple Carbine That's Not Aimpoint

Sorry if this has been covered, but I searched and didn't find much. I'm looking for an RDS that's lighter and smaller than an EOTech EXPS (or the Mepro version, which I also have) that isn't Aimpoint. Much to my constant disappointment, Aimpoints don't work well for my eyes (grape clusters). As an example, I've been looking at the Vortex Razor red dot on an ADM mount, so something with an open FOV and holographic/reflex rather than laser/mirror, and accessible battery (e.g. not RMR). This will be used on a lighter-weight, simple carbine (6720) with a DD 1.5 fixed rear, so ideally I'd like lower 1/3 cowitness. There's not much info out there on the Razor red dot, though.

Any suggestions? Any other decent choices?

Feedback Score
    I like the SIG Romeo5 due to the auto shutoff feature. I also use the Vortex Crossfire. Both are about the size of an Aimpoint T1/T2.

You see torture tests of them on YouTube.

No one is going to claim these are the equal of Aimpoints, particularly in water resistance to certain depths, but for someone who isn't likely to have his rifle in an explosion or dropping it into a river these are probably good.

I think the main cost savings of these over Aimpoints has to do with labor savings. My Romeo5 says "Assembled in China" or something. So if the components themselves are top quality then they should be good to go.

I have astigmatism and the dot on both looks more like a chevron or three dots stacked in a triangle. It still works for me.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 07-31-19 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have two Holosun red dots, the 503cu I think it is. Is the size of a T1 and uses the same mounts but has a circle dot reticle that helps me from getting the dot distortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    There is the trijicon sro if you dont mind an open emitter.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I am not so sure the Razor's dot will look any different than the Aimpoint dot. I'd try one before spending that kind of coin.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Have you tried the Trijicon MRO?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    That's what I put on my daughter's LW SIONICS, on top of a Scalarworks LEAP.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I received an MRO and LEAP a couple days ago for an 11.5 Sionics upper.

I've got a couple Crossfires, but I have more faith in a Trijicon than an inexpensive Vortex.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I received an MRO and LEAP a couple days ago for an 11.5 Sionics upper.

I've got a couple Crossfires, but I have more faith in a Trijicon than an inexpensive Vortex.

Me too, although I did see a Trijicon SRO shit the bed at the range the other day. The dot had "dissipated" into more of a reddish transparent blob. The owner said it was less than 10 days old!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    As someone with Astigmatism, I pick up the dot more clearly on the MRO than I do my T1, or my Pro.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast