Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RDS for Lightweight/Simple Carbine That's Not Aimpoint

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    As someone with Astigmatism, I pick up the dot more clearly on the MRO than I do my T1, or my Pro.
    Thank you guys. I think I'll give the MRO a try, first. So far the only RDS that has been good for my eyes out of the box is the Meprolight RDS (or ACOGs). Is Scalarworks the best option for a mount?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Trijicon has a dealer locator page on their site, so unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to try one out before the purchase.

If it gives the same result as Aimpoints, then you can look through the other optics they stock while you're there.

I have several LaRues, an ADM, and a couple LEAPs. None of them have loosened, shifted, or done anything else they're not supposed to. The LEAP's simplicity of installation is a bonus if it'll get moved around from rifle to rifle. The ADM is quicker to remove than the LaRue's, but I make them as tight as I can while still being able to remove them with fingers. The LEAP is the slowest to remove, but I honestly doubt a quick removal will ever be a true necessity. The light weight of the LEAP is a bonus. Over the lifetime of the optic, the price difference between all of them is unlilely to matter.

If I wanted a fixed mount, I'd consider the Geissle.
    Last edited by grizzman; 07-31-19 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Reptilia
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Trijicon has a dealer locator page on their site, so unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to try one out before the purchase.

I have several LaRues, an ADM, and a couple LEAPs. None of them have loosened, shifted, or done anything else they're not supposed to. The LEAP's simplicity of installation is a bonus if it'll get moved around from rifle to rifle. The ADM is quicker to remove than the LaRue's, but I make them as tight as I can while still being able to remove them with fingers. The LEAP is the slowest to remove, but I honestly doubt a quick removal will ever be a true necessity. The light weight of the LEAP is a bonus. Over the lifetime of the optic, the price difference between all of them is unlilely to matter.

Not necessarily the middle of nowhere, but a far enough drive from a Trijicon dealer that would have the MRO that the gas/time expended would be equal to or > than the $$ I'd lose on resale. Thanks for the mount advice - I've had both ADM and LaRue QD mounts and I'd probably give a slight edge to LaRue, but I've never had an issue with either. I don't mind giving Mark a few extra bucks.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My preferred mount, that hasn't been mentioned, is Midwest Industries. That's just my two cents.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Thank you guys. I think I'll give the MRO a try, first. So far the only RDS that has been good for my eyes out of the box is the Meprolight RDS (or ACOGs). Is Scalarworks the best option for a mount?
    I personally love the Scalarworks mount on my MRO. It's worth every penny. I have a fixed Geissele on my T1, and it's decent as well. Reptilia makes some nice mounts that are newer too.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I also run MRO and RMRs on lightweight carbines.
    The Scalarworks mounts are exceptional, but I’ve had no issues with MW Industries and ADM either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To the OP, astigmatisms are completely individual. An Aimpoint PRO looked like total crap to me (blurry comma) while a T2 looks perfectly crisp. MRO was somewhere between a period and a comma, but way better than a PRO and perfectly usable when actually shooting. Surprisingly, the dot in my Bushnell TRS-25 is every bit as crisp as my T2 dot.

As for mounts, I have a Scalarworks LEAP + T2 combo and I absolutely love it. Their quantum system is not what I would consider "quick detach" but it does return to zero reliably. If you want a quality, lightweight, slim mount made of 7075 aluminum look no further. If you want something you can take off the gun in under 1 second, look to ADM/Larue/Midwest/Bobro...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    To the OP, astigmatisms are completely individual. An Aimpoint PRO looked like total crap to me (blurry comma) while a T2 looks perfectly crisp. MRO was somewhere between a period and a comma, but way better than a PRO and perfectly usable when actually shooting. Surprisingly, the dot in my Bushnell TRS-25 is every bit as crisp as my T2 dot.

As for mounts, I have a Scalarworks LEAP + T2 combo and I absolutely love it. Their quantum system is not what I would consider "quick detach" but it does return to zero reliably. If you want a quality, lightweight, slim mount made of 7075 aluminum look no further. If you want something you can take off the gun in under 1 second, look to ADM/Larue/Midwest/Bobro...
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^ What works for me may not work for you.
    Last edited by GH41; 08-01-19 at 16:52.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I found a dealer not too far away that had one in stock. The dot does appear better to me than any Aimpoint I've used. However, on the setting I would consider the most useful, I noticed it begins to "starburst". Is that my eyes or is this common? Had it in an Aimpoint T1, as well, but it wasn't as bad. One up from that setting and there was a bunch of red reflection/refraction. One setting below the most useful was perfectly clear, but not as bright as I would like for daylight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast