Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C158 Bolts vs. MPI

Feedback Score

C158 Bolts vs. MPI

I read various sellers toutng C158 bolts as an "upgrade" versus standard milspec MPI bolts.

I would think no matter what material the bolt is made from, magnetic particle inspection and high pressure testing for flaws and cracks would be a necessary quality assurance step.

I think calling a C158 bolt an "upgrade" is just marketing and is not really an indicator that the bolt is GTG.

What say you?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have never understood all the various materials. Therefore I just buy from reputable manufacturers because Im not smart enough. I also say this material or that material is like saying 100% cotton ( in some instances). And we know cotton can feel dramatically different from one to another.

Care to share the Mfg?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    The last one I saw was PSA but I think there are others.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I though Carpenter 158 was the mil spec steel specified. MPI is a good thing but you do know that KAC believes that firing a high pressure round during testing shortens bolt life by up to 50%. They don't proof their bolts and warranty them for I believe 22,000 rounds.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I read various sellers toutng C158 bolts as an "upgrade" versus standard milspec MPI bolts.

I would think no matter what material the bolt is made from, magnetic particle inspection and high pressure testing for flaws and cracks would be a necessary quality assurance step.

I think calling a C158 bolt an "upgrade" is just marketing and is not really an indicator that the bolt is GTG.

What say you?
    C158 is milspec. So is mpi testing iirc.

Feedback Score
    I think you are falling into the "match grade" trap with regard to mil-spec product descriptions.

The last one I saw was PSA but I think there are others.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    C158 is spec.
    NITRIDE IS NOT. Until proven otherwise I consider other materials and nitride to be cost cutting rather than engineering driven.

HP testing is a remnant of a different time for engineering and metallurgy. Like well before the M16 was designed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post

HP testing is a remnant of a different time for engineering and metallurgy. Like well before the M16 was designed.
    Yet BCM marks their bolts HP for high-pressure testing. So what's the dealio?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

C158 Bolts vs. MPI

The actual mil-spec is Carpenter 158 (material) for the bolt tested with HP/proof round and then MPI. The last two are processes, not materials. Nitride is a coating and an alternative to phosphate and therefore also not a material that the bolt would be made up of.

The rumor mentioned above of KAC is what I’ve heard of centurion. Not sure which is true, or both, or neither, but it stands to reason that and extremely high pressure round would add stress and therefore shorten the lifespan. Typically I agree with PB and look more for the manufacturer than the materials and tests. Just because something was MPI’d, doesn’t mean that it actually passed to an acceptable standard, it just means they looked (at least that’s my understanding). If I’m going cheap, like PSA, then I’ll definitely go with their premium BCG which is supposed to be fully nil-spec to also include grade 8 fasteners and proper staking. My sample size of one seems to reflect that.

Yet BCM marks their bolts HP for high-pressure testing. So what's the dealio?
    May be outdated but that’s still what the TDP calls for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    So C158 is nothing special, i.e., not a material "better than milspec?"

It's all hype. PSA is just proud that they do what everybody should do in the first place.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast