Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: C158 Bolts vs. MPI

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    So C158 is nothing special, i.e., not a material "better than milspec?"

It's all hype. PSA is just proud that they do what everybody should do in the first place.
    Correct, it is the Mil-Spec material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are a lot of "not C158" bolts out there.

BCM and a bunch of others do it because it's the spec. It's the spec because the military had always done it that way and required it.

Feedback Score
    Understanding that magnetic particle inspection is part of the process, how important is it really?

What percentage of bolts made of the proper material get rejected during the MPI?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    As mentioned C158 is TDP as is HPT/MPI. However, I find that HPT/MPI to be an overblown issue and could easily justify batch testing or dispensing with it altogether depending on the rejection rate. It's done that way because that's what the TDP and contracts say to do, most other are just following suit.
    Last edited by Sry0fcr; 07-31-19 at 13:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Understanding that magnetic particle inspection is part of the process, how important is it really?

What percentage of bolts made of the proper material get rejected during the MPI?
    I dunno. Usually companies are pretty tight lipped about internal non-conformances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I dunno. Usually companies are pretty tight lipped about internal non-conformances.
    Yep. And I'm sure it varies between batches/runs. Could be high for one batch, and almost non-existent in another.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have a PSA AR pistol that the bolt is marked C158 MPI.

A friend's is only marked C158.

I wonder what the service life, on average, is for one of the PSA bolts.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    HP can fatigue the bolt, but mpi should be done on every bolt, and won’t fatigue it. Of course this takes time (not much, we do mpi testing on our parts) and time = money and the budget companies will only batch test.

As mentioned C158 is the spec, although 9310 is considered a substitute. However most of the recent bolt failures are because of improperly heat treated 9310 bolts. C158 generally doesn’t have this issue.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 07-31-19 at 15:11.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Bolt needs to be Carpenter 158 with MPI/HPT. Period.

Depending on the manufacturer they might or might not mark it as such - Aero is a good example. Their BCGs (both nitride and phosphate finish) are MPI/HPT, but only marked MPI. This has been confirmed by them multiple times.

As indicated above some manufacturers, who feel confident in their processes and manufacturing, do not HPT their bolts (KAC and LMT mentioned). Others might do it as a cost cutting measure.

I prefer Carpenter 158 with MPI/HPT, there isn't much money to be saved on buying 9310 bolts or without MPI or HPT if you take into account a lifecycle of a quality bolt.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can do MPI without HP, so a bolt marked MPI may or may not have been HP'd before the MPI.

If you stick to known quality, C158, phosphate bolts I would not worry about the marking or testing.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast