Thread: Subsonic .300 Blackout Recommendations

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Subsonic .300 Blackout Recommendations

Yes, another tell me what to buy thread. I hate to post it, but I just got a call from my LGS that the tax stamp for my Omega 300 has finally come in, so it's time for me to find some good subsonic ammo to shoot. I've done some searching around, but short of reading some unrated articles and opinions, I don't find much good advice for subs. Maybe I'm trying the wrong keywords of something.

Anyways, I'd like to try out some different brands and weights to find what works best, but I'm curious as to which choices have already shown to be good, or not so much. Price is obviously a concern, but not the main factor. Still, I'd like to be around or under a buck, or closer to $0.50 would be great if it's good ammo.

I'll be running the can with a 9" BCM pistol length upper. Does anybody have any good recommendations for me to start with?

Feedback Score
    The only cheap subs I run are S&B, OK but not great performance.
    In supers I prefer Magtec for cheap plinking but have not tried their subs yet.
    Am. Eagle is a good performer, my favorite is Sig Elite & Corbon.

Feedback Score
    I came here to pretty much ask the same question. I just bought a Windham SRC in 300 Blackout. I've had great luck with Windham rifles and couldn't pass it up at $476 delivered. I would like to add a couple of more points to the question though. Will 200gr bullets pretty much always be subsonic or should one go with 220gr bullets just to be sure? Are there any feeding issues when it comes to these heavier grain bullets?
    Last edited by Bret; 07-31-19 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Discreet Ballistics if you want subsonic hunting rounds. Seems to be the best subsonic hunting rounds around.

https://discreetballistics.com

Right now they have a sale: 15% off with code HOGDAYS. Expires Saturday. Free shipping with $100 purchase.

For cheap subsonic the S&B are the best I’ve seen.

Feedback Score
    My fav hunting/defense subs are the Hornady 190 gr Sub-X and Lehigh 194gr expanding subs.

I tried the Discreet subs early on and they key-holed badly in my rifles (all 1:7 twist, too) which is a good reminder to test subs for stability before running them through your can. I think they have redesigned their bullets now so don’t rule them out.

For sub plinking loads, sometimes I find the Gemtech subs on a good sale, or just watch for sales on generic sub loads.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Sellier and Bellot 200 grain for plinking and Discreet Ballistics for hunting.

ETA - I highly recommend getting an Edge membership on Brownells which gets you free shipping on any order and free 2 day on parts. Like Amazon prime but for gun parts. I would also recommend following Mrgunsngear on facebook as he post deals he gets from the industry. Those two things combined have saved me at least 1k.
    Last edited by themonk; 08-01-19 at 07:38.