Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Much Bolt Carrier Staking Is Enough?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Brownells does offer a staking tool if you've got one that isn't up to snuff. I have one bolt carrier in a parts box somewhere that could probably benefit from this:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...content=Social
    That looks like a good item, the Cadillac's of staking tools are found here, though:

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php click on MOACKS PLAIN @ $85.00 or the MOACKS II @ $165.00 (functions as staker, bolt tail carbon scraper, and gas tube clamp).

Made by member Ned Christiansen.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Brownells does offer a staking tool if you've got one that isn't up to snuff. I have one bolt carrier in a parts box somewhere that could probably benefit from this:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...content=Social
    That's the one I use, solid piece. It's heavy I can tell you!
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can touch it up if needed. But I think even the weak one would work, but nobody has to live with weak. I would touch up weak ones and leave medium alone.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-02-19 at 18:59.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    As long as the material displaced by staking impacts the serrations on the cap screws equally on opposite sides I am OK with it. All three examples appear to be GTG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    As long as the material displaced by staking impacts the serrations on the cap screws equally on opposite sides I am OK with it. All three examples appear to be GTG.
    ^^This^^

Over aggressive staking runs the risk of unequal loading of the screw head, and cracks in the screws.

Feedback Score
    No doubt, but I believe a broken screw is the only way you can discern "over aggressive" from plain old "aggressive", which seems to be the standard amongst the more reputable brands. In other words, the "good" example is what they are doing, right or wrong, with seemingly no ill effect.

Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    ^^This^^

Over aggressive staking runs the risk of unequal loading of the screw head, and cracks in the screws.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Just don't it Jake style...
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    MOACKS is way to go.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    MOACKS is way to go.
    I'd love to buy it, but at $85 for the cheapest version (and almost $200 for a full version) seems a bit unreasonable unless you have more than 5 ARs you need to fix (or you're fixing ARs all the time).
    For $40 I'd totally go for it, for $85 - I'd use a punch or get a complete new ToolCraft BCG with the bolt and full warranty and have them fix it if it breaks.

At this price point it seems to be marketed towards a professional or part-time (i.e. department) gunsmiths and not DIY'ers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A person could always make a post requesting to borrow the tool if their staking is inadequate.

My Pocket MOACKS has led a pretty relaxed life so far.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-02-19 at 18:07.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast