Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Secret Service goes Glock 19 mos

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Not so obvious, since many TX lawmen carry M&P in 9 or 40.
    Obviously, too, different law enforcement agencies want different things at different prices.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    There are lots of departments that have passed on the M&Ps in head to head competition. M&Ps consistently are included in competitions, but are not getting much adoption. There are also a significant number that have sh!tcanned the M&Ps after adoption.

Departments with extensive testing processes simply are not selecting the M&P. A few local departments making that adoption isn’t too impressive nor do they have federal acquisition rules that make for performance-based testing. I cannot recall any federal agencies with M&Ps.

The most telling metric is the wide glut of M&Ps in the trade in market. They are giving away like-new $300 deals on pistols that retail at $600+. For a platform on the market a little over ten years, that is very telling.

Moreover, I am more concerned about law enforcement having quality guns than who manufactures them.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    If law enforcement is going to buy Glock, why don't they buy American, like Smith M&P?
    I am pretty sure that these will be manufactured in Smyrna, GA. I would also say that CBP and the FBI conducted very thorough evaluations and selected what they thought would be the best handgun for their agents and that agency wide adoption factors in a hell of a lot more than just word of mouth or what "some" lawmen are using.
    Last edited by drtywk; 08-11-19 at 20:25.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) and we have the M&P9, it’s our current contract. And with that I’ll add it could have been the 17M or 19M off the FBI contract like I wish we’d done. They run great and are a helluva lot better than what we had, so for that reason I like them.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

San Antonio and Austin PD issues them, but I haven't seen many officers here in the Houston area carrying them. Around here most agencies have IOP weapons and the vast majority of them are still Glock, with a lot of 320's showing up. Texas DPS actually switched to the M&P and began issuing them to some academy graduates. The pistols promptly shit the bed and DPS pulled them, re issued the 226's, and a short time later went with the 320.

If law enforcement is going to buy Glock, why don't they buy American, like Smith M&P?
    If an agency really wanted to make a big deal out of that, all they would have to do is include it as part of the RFP that the guns be USA made. Glock manufactures pistols here in the USA and are marked as such. Glock would just use those for that particular contract.

Example, my USA marked Gen5 19.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 08-12-19 at 07:03.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Anyone else see LAV's photo on Instagram? A 17M, rare because it is owned publicly, Himself.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    I am pretty sure that these will be manufactured in Smyrna, GA. I would also say that CBP and the FBI conducted very thorough evaluations and selected what they thought would be the best handgun for their agents and that agency wide adoption factors in a hell of a lot more than just word of mouth or what "some" lawmen are using.
    I don’t know if there is any “buy American” provision for these contracts, but I’ve thought that’s probably why most of the Glocks I see at retail are still “Made in Austria” - their domestic capacity, which is huge, is churning them out for LE contracts. Of the 10+ Glocks I’ve owned, only 1 of them was US made - a newer 26.5.

Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    I work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) and we have the M&P9, it’s our current contract. And with that I’ll add it could have been the 17M or 19M off the FBI contract like I wish we’d done. They run great and are a helluva lot better than what we had, so for that reason I like them.
    Didn’t you guys issue Ruger metal (P89?) DA/SAs until the switch to M&Ps? Those things are tanks but that would get damn heavy if your assignment included carrying one all day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Didn’t you guys issue Ruger metal (P89?) DA/SAs until the switch to M&Ps? Those things are tanks but that would get damn heavy if your assignment included carrying one all day.
    Worse…DAO, but yes they were tanks and ran great, just outdated. After the Rugers came the Beretta 92D INOX Vertecs. My institution never upgraded with that contract which was in ‘02 timeframe maybe. Beretta never even finished that contract because they f’ed it up so bad the BOP cancelled the contract on them. Then it was back to Rugers again then finally the M&Ps about 3 or so years ago. Just before the M&P contract the BOP was supposedly offered a piggyback on the FBI’s new GLOCK M models contract but they declined, so we got the Smiths. Standard M&P with no mag safety and standard non tritium sights.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456