Thread: Holster to replace Bladetech IWB G17

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Holster to replace Bladetech IWB G17

I have been using a Blade Tech IWB strong side FBI cant for at least 20 years. I like the pull dots and the rigidity for easy of reholstering. The kydex has cracked and it is time to replace. What i dont like is that the kydex is slippery against my polyester undergarments and the holster need frequent readjustment of position. I was thinking of trying Milt Sparks Summer Speed 2. Im assuming that the rough-side out leather should keep the holster in position better. Does leather holsters with the proper design offer the same retention and easy of reholster as my 20 year old designed Blade tech IWB? Also I want a compact design, some of these new designs are very large. Any advise? The holster will be used for Gen 2 17, Gen 5/17 and occasionally a Gen 3 19.
    Thanks Steve.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The kydex retention is 100% via the trigger guard molding and once you over ride it then the pistol is off and running when shaken upside down.

Leather probably won't take as much pull to start moving, but the friction will be affecting the retention (and the draw) till the interior is no longer touching the pistol. Upside down shake with leather you will likely get some movement without the pistol falling out on the first shake. Your belt snugness also affects this.

Reholstering is probably a wash. The Sparks and any other well made leather IWB will have some form of mouth reinforcement to aid reholstering.

I have had a few of the Bladetech standard IWB holsters and most have seemed to move more than other kydex IWB holsters I have tried as well as leather. Not necessarily bad, but different.

The leather should cling to the slick synthetic underwear more than kydex, but assuming non slick outer clothes it will cling to them more. That combined with my expwrience of having to adjust owb rigs over slick synthetic under wear far more than over non slick makes me think that may end up being neither here nor there too.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-03-19 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My IWB Blade Tech J-Hook G19 holster from the 90's is my prized holster. Tried most of the leather options and will still replace with any Kydex maker that still uses J-Hooks. The thinness of the Kydex along with the easy of putting on and taking off and positive click retention makes it unbeatable. Adding in the morning and taking off at night is effortless.

Love OWB leather & Kydex holsters, as belt threading is part of the process.