Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Barrel length for your one ar 12.5 VS 16

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    The 12.5 was developed to use the MK262 ammo.

How is that 10" upper grouping at 100 meters with that 75 gr ammo?
    Never shot the 10" @100. At 50yds, it's open to ~1". I'm hoping that I never need to use any HD gun beyond 25yds. Seems more like murder. That's where the laser sight has the 75gr Hornady making impact. I've discovered that it does not like American Eagle XM193 55gr at any distance. Not sure if the 7 twist has anything to do with that but the 8 twist Saint Edge doesn't like that ammo either. Lot of flyers. I got the Saint for Coyotes @ under 200yds but have yet to determine the best ammo at that range. Suspect some of the 40gr VMax .223 stuff which I know shoots 1/4" @50yds in a Savage Edge with 1:9 twist might work.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    While not speaking of precision work here, a few weeks ago way out in west texas some friends and I were flinging 125gr 300blk unmagnified from a 9" barrel and M193 with a 4x ACOG TA31 on 11.5" barrel out to 880 yards at old dishwashers. All freehand. Totally guessing at holdovers at first and getting them to drop into the washer doors more often than not after a couple rounds with each. It just kind of gave us something else to do after we were done doing the precision thing with 308 and 338 at same distance. Honestly, the shorter guns were more fun shooting at that distance. I bet if we hunkered down and squeezed off more carefully we could get consistent MOA at that distance with the short barrels. I'd go 12" over 16" if acquiring a stamp is not an issue for you.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    I have an AR I papered as a legal SBR and put the shortest possible carbine barrel on it - 10.2" Daniel Defense. It is extremely handy to handle inside a vehicle and while on an ATV. The short barrel means it is normal carbine length with a suppressor on. I like the added weight of the suppressor when firing. I love the light weight of it without a suppressor when wandering around. It's quite nice and gets great group in the 10yd to 150yd range offhand - past that you need to go to kneeling or prone unless your a 'spray and pray' guy. Toss in the 22 conversion kit, lots of beer cans and a cool day - you are going to be shooting for awhile and having fun. I have allot of AR's in my safe...… not entirely sure how many..... like cats, you cant just have one and before long you are that crazy AR lady down the street. However, when I open my safe this 10.2" barrel is first to grab. I'm not a fan of loaded guns - so - I got a magazine holder from an Israeli friend - it snaps into the magazine port and holds a full mag on the left side ready to go.

Bottom line. You wont be disappointed with 12.5. I recommend the 10.2 if you are going to invest in a suppressor. I will come back and post a pick of my little buddy.

Feedback Score
    Is there any military issued upper that is 12.5"?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by attila006 View Post
    Is there any military issued upper that is 12.5"?
    Yes, but in a limited capacity for SOF
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Did they use a standard 5.56 chamber or 223 Wylde?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Who makes it or is it more a custom build from from group like Crane?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by attila006 View Post
    Did they use a standard 5.56 chamber or 223 Wylde?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I thought this was near-legend. Like a few were made by CRANE but never issued/pursued?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Who makes it or is it more a custom build from from group like Crane?
    There were a few that were developed for the SEALS by Crane, not sure of the usage. Some were also local purchases but other units.

I know that John Noveske did a great deal of work/research on the 12.5 barrel for the use of MK262 ammo
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011