Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel length for your one ar 12.5 VS 16

Feedback Score

Barrel length for your one ar 12.5 VS 16

Say you live in a medium sized town in Northern Florida/ Southern Georgia. The area is relatively wooded with the occasional cow pasture. You also have to worry about defending your small dwelling from crackheads. Would a 12.5 inch AR be sufficient for SHTF/ self defense? If you could only have 1 AR for a good while to depend on, would you get a 12.5 or a 16? Is the velocity difference too much? Is the 16 maneuverable enough compared to the 12.5? I'm pretty sure I'm getting a 12.5 when I see a good barrel on sale. I just wanted to hear others thoughts on the matter. If I go 12.5, I'll be getting an SBA 3.
    Last edited by Skeeter98; 08-03-19 at 23:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sure. Somebody short with either is in bad shape.

With 16", you don't have to register under the NFA.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 08-03-19 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    Im very much interested in the SBA 3 brace. But yea I thought about that too.
    Last edited by Skeeter98; 08-03-19 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    12.5s are the new mk18 of gun trends. Think about what you want and then choose your barrel length, don't back track to justify the latest trend. Not knocking either, just encouraging thought because there are many options around that length. I own SBRs and I would do 16 personally, unless there's a suppressor involved - in which case I'd go shorter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    12.5 will do everything you need it to do. It is compact enough to to work in close in places and will still get out to all of the distances that you could possibly need. EURODRIVER got out to 630 yards with match grade ammo.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by labeef View Post
    12.5s are the new mk18 of gun trends. Think about what you want and then choose your barrel length, don't back track to justify the latest trend. Not knocking either, just encouraging thought because there are many options around that length. I own SBRs and I would do 16 personally, unless there's a suppressor involved - in which case I'd go shorter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I was thinking 12.5 because it seemed like a good balance between handiness and ok muzzle velocity. under 12.5 the loss in velocity is gets a lot worse. And I've noticed there aren't too many barrel options for 12.5 but since this is kind of trendy atm that will be subject to change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    12.5 will do everything you need it to do. It is compact enough to to work in close in places and will still get out to all of the distances that you could possibly need. EURODRIVER got out to 630 yards with match grade ammo.
    That was the conclusion I came to when looking at velocity data and handling shorter rifles. Those characteristics are what I'm looking for. I'm still thinking about the tradeoffs though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I may be doom and glooming, but I would not rely on a 12.5 pistol with a brace as a SHTF/HD rifle in the long term. I do not trust the current admin enough to believe they won't/can't be made illegal by the stroke of a pen, especially since everyone with a room temperature knows that the vast majority of folks are using them as SBR workarounds.

That is just me.

Additionally, if you are on the fence, shoot a 12.5 and then a 16 inch to compare noise at the stock. IMO 12.5's need suppressors unless you are using a muzzle device that directs sound and flash forward. ETA: talking about hearing loss in an HD situation - if you are going to definitely be wearing ear pro, rock on.

My vote for long term would be 12.5 if you are willing to SBR it, otherwise pinned 14.5 (which is an option) or 16'

JMO, good luck.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-03-19 at 23:33.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter98 View Post
    That was the conclusion I came to when looking at velocity data and handling shorter rifles. Those characteristics are what I'm looking for. I'm still thinking about the tradeoffs though.
    12.5 was developed to be the shortest barrel that can still preform with heavy loads.

I have three 12.5 SBRs. It is the most versatile of all barrel lengths.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m a big fan of my 12.5” SBR. I also agree with going the SBR route over the pistol brace, as SBR’s can’t be magically banned on a whim by either the President or the ATF (hopefully).

Barrel options are definitely limited vs. 10.5” and 11.5”. If you’re asking, BCM makes a good barrel in that length.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast