Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel length for your one ar 12.5 VS 16

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If the primary use were indoors, I would say just get the 12.5”. That’s what I got for my first AR...using the original SB Tactical arm brace. It’s since been SBR’d.
    But practically speaking, the 16” avoids a lot of inconvenience and keeps you off of any lists. I’d probably grab the Colt CCU if I were planning to step out of my house and not get right into a vehicle. Get a 12.5 or 11.5” later on if you want to suppress.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter98 View Post
    If I were to go with a 16, I am very interested in the brt optimum light barrels. Do those barrels have a noticeable recoil impulse reduction? Are they worth the extra money over a BA Hanson?

One idea for a versatile setup was that barrel with an A5 extension and a 1x6 lvpo. If I went 12.5 it would be a red dot with a magnifier. Both would have an A2 FH and some sort of white light.
    I like mine a lot. I’ve got a few k rounds through it so far. It currently has dedicated to it a Comp M4s and a P4xi in QD mounts that I swap as needed. There’s a couple of us here that have one posting about it starting on page 24 or 25 (mobile version), including recoil characteristics:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...71#post2732671

And some pics of mine in a few configurations I’ve tried:

https://imgur.com/a/tI4m0ME

I do not own a BA Hanson 16”, so I cannot compare.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Just food for thought. You don't give up a whole lot in terms of maneuverability with a 14.5" PW, and you gain the ability to use a normal stock. I use Colt SOCOM barrels with pinned Surefire flash hiders, and they work amazingly.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    In the wooded south, a 11.5-14.5 AR will do everything you could possibly need it to do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I like mine a lot. I’ve got a few k rounds through it so far. It currently has dedicated to it a Comp M4s and a P4xi in QD mounts that I swap as needed. There’s a couple of us here that have one posting about it starting on page 24 or 25 (mobile version), including recoil characteristics:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...71#post2732671

And some pics of mine in a few configurations I’ve tried:

https://imgur.com/a/tI4m0ME

I do not own a BA Hanson 16”, so I cannot compare.
    Wow that looks neat with an a2 stock. I bet it feels nice and sturdy with it as well. Does the rifle length buffer offer less recoil than a carbine or a5 extension?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Thats not that crazy. A1 stocks are perfectly at home on SBRs, although less flexible to body armor use and unusual shooting positions. But for GP use, they’re great. Consider the MP5a2. Even though it has that long A2 length stock, its not really that bad because of the balance with the short barrel. Also, the AK 102, 104, and 105 have 12.5” barrels with A1 length of pull stocks, so someone thinks a 12.5” A1 is a good idea.
    Oh I agree for sure, I'm a big fan of the fixed stock carbine. I have the 16" midlength and two 14.5s setup with A1 length stocks. Based on how much I like those I figured I really might enjoy a fixed stock 12.5". I just joke about my fondness for fixed stocks because of how "antiquated" it must seem to some. I also still have fixed FSBs on all my ARs too.
    When I get around to SBRing another lower I may try my 10.3" upper on it with an A1 stock just to give it a whirl. Only like two inches longer than a fixed stock MP5.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    I’m a big fan of my 12.5” SBR. I also agree with going the SBR route over the pistol brace, as SBR’s can’t be magically banned on a whim by either the President or the ATF (hopefully).

Barrel options are definitely limited vs. 10.5” and 11.5”. If you’re asking, BCM makes a good barrel in that length.
    There are more 12.5 bareels out there then you would think.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    After everything that has been said, it sounds like 16 is a marginally better choice. 200 more fps, Id only sacrifice some maneuverability, some weight over a 12.5 and with the slew of anti gunners and shootings that have recently taken place, there's less risk of ATF waving their magic pen and making me a felon overnight. The 12.5 is so cool though and really seems ideal for what I want it for. I don't want to go through the 14.5 P&W.

I probably wont be getting a can any time soon. If I were to go with a 16, I am very interested in the brt optimum light barrels. Do those barrels have a noticeable recoil impulse reduction? Are they worth the extra money over a BA Hanson?

One idea for a versatile setup was that barrel with an A5 extension and a 1x6 lvpo. If I went 12.5 it would be a red dot with a magnifier. Both would have an A2 FH and some sort of white light.
    Why would you not put a 1-6 or a 1-4 on a 12.5? It is actually a very good srt up.

And Euro's with a 1-6 works really well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-one-of-these)

If you are worried about the Brace (which I think is a wrong priority) you ca always goet it with a brack while you are waiting on a Tax Stamp to be approved. Once you get the stamp put a normal stock on it.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Why would you not put a 1-6 or a 1-4 on a 12.5? It is actually a very good srt up.

And Euro's with a 1-6 works really well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-one-of-these)

If you are worried about the Brace (which I think is a wrong priority) you ca always goet it with a brack while you are waiting on a Tax Stamp to be approved. Once you get the stamp put a normal stock on it.
    so I should pull the trigger and get an sba 3 on sale for 90$ today? That setup looks so sweet. And the red dot with magnifier seems cheaper and more conducive to cqb type things.
    Last edited by Skeeter98; 08-04-19 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    so I should pull the trigger and get an sba 3 on sale for 90$ today? That setup looks so sweet. And the red dot with magnifier seems cheaper and more conducive to cqb type things.
    I have a 12.5 set up like you are describing. It handles great. It is actually a 12.3 Ballistic Advantage BA Hanson that i have with an EOTECH and G33

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast