Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson Vigil 9mm--any experience?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I like the more traditional look. That’s another reason why I like this gun— because it didn’t have all the forward serrations or cuts and other doodads that I just don’t care for.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Ah. I'm torn between a 5" 9mm 1911 and an EDC X9L and was wondering if there was a practical reason for the choice.

(Although a lot of why I'm leaning 9mm 1911 is because I can get ivory-colored G10 stocks for the 1911. But EDC X9 grips appear to have been only available in ivory G10 for the 40th anniversary guns.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Ah. I'm torn between a 5" 9mm 1911 and an EDC X9L and was wondering if there was a practical reason for the choice.

(Although a lot of why I'm leaning 9mm 1911 is because I can get ivory-colored G10 stocks for the 1911. But EDC X9 grips appear to have been only available in ivory G10 for the 40th anniversary guns.)
    The EDC X9 is an impressive gun. 21st century design and materials. Same grip circumference as a 1911 and similar dimensions to a LW Colt Commander, even a bit lighter than the Colt, and all this while giving 50% greater capacity. Reliability-enhancing design updates like the external extractor, integral plunger tube, etc. Basically fixes the common points of failure in the 1911. All in a package that retains the operating system controls and original features that make the 1911 so appealing to shoot. I don't work for Wilson's marketing department but that's the way I see it. Wouldn't fault anybody for running an X9. If you get one, hope you do a range review and pics--I've been waiting for somebody who shoots and carries one in the real world to really wring it out.

But in the end, I still prefer the traditional single-stack design that is fully 1911 compatible, a 'real' 1911 if you will. Something that is not proprietary or dependent on one manufacturer for service, customization, and parts. Despite all the variations, the 1911 is still kinda' the AR-15 of pistols, and that's part of the platform that appeals, along with the joy of shooting them.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post

IMHO, that is just a personal preference, for EDC you gotta give the nod to capacity. I've handled the WC EDC gun but never shot one. Feels good in the hand, trigger all that jazz. I would like to see someone torture test one.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Shot the EDC X9 and to best describe how it shoots is it makes you wanna shoot faster and faster. I just can’t justify the price.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I’m with you in the ivory grips Raven?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I’m with you in the ivory grips Raven?
    Yay?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Phone typing got me. I am hunting Magwell cut ivories or similar

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Phone typing got me. I am hunting Magwell cut ivories or similar
    I know you have the VZs, as do I, and I've been quite happy with them.

VZ also does ivory-colored polished micarta grips. And I think Wilson is now selling mammoth ivory stocks on their website (although they appear to be out). Guncrafter also has some mammoth ivory grips, along with a variety of burl woods. Maybe keep an eye on the Challis Grips website? Right now, they only have a set of mammoth, which they don't recommend for using on a gun that's actually going to be shot, so....
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I got to handle Greg's new blaster today. Wow that thing is nice. In two years it will be mine ! Take care of it Greg and don't let the welfare check cashing democrat thugs take it this time.

Greg is right about the grips. They're efficiently secure and somewhat attractive in their own way, but you can't beat a set of checkered ivory or faux ivory (G10) or wood.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast