Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Point Shooting Book

Feedback Score

Point Shooting Book

Not sure if this is the right place, mods please remove if not allowed.

I thought some might be interested in this book. It's been out of print for years and as a result it became expensive to find. Now its back in print and only $15. Mr. Mike Janich of Martial Blade Concepts co-authored it along with point shooting icon Col. Rex Applegate.

Originally published by Paladin Press, this book is an authoritative reference on the combat-proven handgun point shooting method taught by the legendary Col. Rex Applegate. It presents detailed, step-by-step instruction in the system of point shooting Applegate taught to military intelligence operatives and members of the OSS (Office of Strategic Services--the predecessor of the CIA) during World War II. This system allows you to quickly and instinctively get shots on target without using the gun's sights and while experiencing the physiological effects of life-threatening stress. It also dispels the many myths surrounding point shooting and puts this gunfight-proven method into context with more "modern" techniques. Mike worked hard to great this great resource back in print. It is now available on the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Bullseyes-Don...Z4dCHEWs-7YjlI

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Cool. Go learn this technique, master it. Then come to a class with a reputable instructor. Go against the instructor or a coin holder or even me against the clock. If you win Ill buy you a steak dinner, all the booze you can drink along with all the internet fame.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Go against the instructor or a coin holder or even me against the clock.
    Who are these coin-holders you speak of? I have a lot of coins.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Who are these coin-holders you speak of? I have a lot of coins.
    Got one of these?:

There are a few coin holders on this board.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-23-19 at 02:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Got one of these?:

There are a few coin holders on this board.
    Wow! the board went white when I posted former reply.

I was being obtuse, I lurk the pistol-training.com forum every now and again.

There is no doubt that possession of a coin does equate to a good handle on accuracy and pistol handling.

The downside is that you have to attend a pistol-training.com class to compete for one.

No way I could do it from concealment, but according to Rob Vogel I'm pretty fast out of my duty Raptor. I might shoot it and see. Right now I'm focusing on trying to crack 460 with my production pistol on the mover.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-23-19 at 14:59.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Im not an expert by any means, but Ive found practicing with sights will allow you to point shoot effectively.

For example- I dont wait for the dot on targets 5-7 yards and in if it feels good- I shoot and pick up the dot in recoil. Im not good enough to see the dot and still get sub second draws yet- but im getting mostly As and all within C-zone.

Repetition with sights builds consistency.
    I’ve never practiced point shooting with a pistol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One of the problems with discussing "point shooting" is that it lacks a common definition and reference. Some methods are point-and-hope. Others involve developed body orientation and indexing using alignment and/or superimposition of combinations of limb, hand, gun, or gun parts. You won't win a fast coin or a match with a lot of it, but you can do some pretty adequate to good shooting where conditions allow or require.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Im not an expert by any means, but Ive found practicing with sights will allow you to point shoot effectively.

For example- I dont wait for the dot on targets 5-7 yards and in if it feels good- I shoot and pick up the dot in recoil. Im not good enough to see the dot and still get sub second draws yet- but im getting mostly As and all within C-zone.

Repetition with sights builds consistency.
    I’ve never practiced point shooting with a pistol.
    You’re on the right track. You’re not point shooting on those 5-7 yard targets, you’re seeing what you need to make what you define as an acceptable hit. Seeing the target and the back of your gun/optic squares up on it is enough.

One of the best things I’ve heard recently that resonated with me was on Steve Anderson’s podcast when he differentiates aiming vs seeing the sights. Once you have a good index index it’s just a matter of applying the amount of visual patience and trigger control to make the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    One of the problems with discussing "point shooting" is that it lacks a common definition and reference. Some methods are point-and-hope. Others involve developed body orientation and indexing using alignment and/or superimposition of combinations of limb, hand, gun, or gun parts. You won't win a fast coin or a match with a lot of it, but you can do some pretty adequate to good shooting where conditions allow or require.
    You are correct 100% Sir. Lots of miss information and lack of actual understanding on the subject by the masses. Point shooting, index, instinct, threat focused, target focused... all similar but not the same. Although the masses see them as such. A little like, front sight focus, flash sight picture and subconscious sight picture...all different, all using the sights but in different ways.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

The downside is that you have to attend a pistol-training.com class to compete for one.

Actually, that is not necessary. I was in an Ernest Langdon class a couple of weeks back, and he's the keeper of the flame ( or coins) since Todd Green passed away.

Excellent class, by the way. I picked up some very helpful stuff on target transitions, and building a grip to control lateral dispersion.

And I'll agree with sighted fire every time, versus actual point shooting. Tom Givens did an analysis of the actual records regarding the Shanghai Municipal Police shootings. Applegate was a disciple of Fairbairn, and adopted his methods. Using Fairbairn's own records of officer involved shootings, the cops did worse than the untrained Chinese bandits. Attend a Rangemaster class, and he'll be happy to share the data with you. Pretty fascinating stuff.

If you want to use a body index position at very close range, there are a lot of people teaching that. A few even teach it correctly. The ones that come to mind are Hard-Wired Tactical Shooting (Dobbs and Bolke), the Shivworks Cartel (Douglas, Burch, Lindenman, Sharp, Aprill and Fry) and some others. That is technically unsighted fire as ST911 mentioned, but the sights are aligned on target.

I'd pay a lot of attention to what those people teach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast