Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about giving Glock another go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thinking about giving Glock another go.

A few years ago I picked up a Gen 4 G17. I had never owned a Glock before. Everytime I picked one up it just didn't feel comfortable to me but I felt like I was missing out on something. My experiences with my particular gen 4 caused me lose interest in Glocks. Several RSA swaps and an extracter swap and I continued to have pretty erratic ejection including routine brass to the face. The trigger was wasn't great despite adding a - connector but I loved the reset. I had issues with the grip angle that I could have trained away but eventually sold it off for something that worked better for me. Despite the flaws the pistol was very accurate.

Recently I went to the range with a buddy who carries a 21SF for work. He had his previous Gen3 19 duty pistol and his CCW 30SF. Both of those pistols blew me away. They were very easy to point, accurate, and shot very flat allowing for very accurate double taps. The triggers were also much better than my Gen4. They were stock but with many thousands of rounds through them.

My question is what is different about these pistols compared to my Gen 4 17 that made them point more naturally for me? Is the location of the hump different on the smaller frames guns? Is it all in my head? I'm totally jonesing for a 19 now. Should I be looking for a well broken in Gen 3 or a new Gen 5? I handled a new Gen 5 yesterday and like the trigger pull right out of the box. The grip cutout seemed like it could get annoying but the dealer has some FS and MOS coming in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The G19 hump is up higher than the G17, and feels more natural to me. To the point that I use my 19’s in competition and carry and no longer own any 17’s. Logically, you would expect grips to be shortened from the bottom on compact and subcompact models, but thats not how Glock does it, so the G19 feels very different from the 17, especially on the models with finger grooves.

I prefer Gen 4 and thats all I have anymore, except for my 42 and 43. The Gen 3 have chunkier grips, but if you have larger hands, the Gen 4 and 5 can be thickened up with the backstraps. Gen 4 and 5 have better grip texture than the gen 3. The Gen 5 is said to have a better trigger, but whatever. All my Glocks have stock triggers and I shoot them adequately.

The more you shoot a G19 monogamously, the harder it is to remember why you hate them.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I would probably look towards a gen 5. The ejection issues seem to be largely worked out. I have had a cutout and now have a non cutout and it is definitely better during draw practice not to have the ridge. I shoot mine well by conventional standards but not as well as my other guns. I do agree with the above poster that the Glock is best shot as a sole gun, because it’s ergonomic idiosyncrasies lead to it being a sort of an either/or proposition.

For me the greatest thing about Glock is the fact that holsters and accessories are usually tailored around it. That isn’t a big a deal as it used to be since most places have a Kydex guy these days, but it is nice to be able to Amazon everything if you in a hurry.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Definitely go for the Gen 5. I've had BTF issues with a few of the later Gen 3's but the Gen 5s have been rock solid. Get the G19 FS model.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    I’ve got three Gen 5 guns but I still shoot the Gen 3 guns better—I think it’s largely the trigger.

Everything about the Gen 5 besides the trigger is better, to include integral magwell flaring, improved finish, lack of finger grooves, ambi slide release, improved sight options, forward serrations from the factory, and allegedly more reliable. They certainly eject more consistently than previous generations.

What gripes me about the Gen 5 is that everybody goes on about the “increased accuracy” but I’m not seeing any improvement. Perhaps a decline due to the trigger. I can bench a Gen 5 next to a Gen 3 and it seems the Gen 3s are as or more accurate.

I too shoot a 19 better than 17. A 19 Gen 3 with a Raven Freya suits me well. The 4th generation Glocks have been the very worst in my opinion. The trigger varies from the Gen 3 due to a nub on the trigger bar under constant friction through the trigger bar. The interchange backstraps also required a slight geometry change: enter the dot connector, which, consequently, makes Gen 3 guns awesome.

That said, I think either Glock works for you or it doesn’t. No reason to keep wanting to retry them. People give Glock too much awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I, also, find it difficult to stay away from Glock even though I like other pistols better. For instance, I am currently exploring the options for adding an SRO to my M&P M2.0 and it's like I'm having to re-invent the wheel. With Glock, there are so many options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I’ve got three Gen 5 guns but I still shoot the Gen 3 guns better—I think it’s largely the trigger.

Everything about the Gen 5 besides the trigger is better, to include integral magwell flaring, improved finish, lack of finger grooves, ambi slide release, improved sight options, forward serrations from the factory, and allegedly more reliable. They certainly eject more consistently than previous generations.

What gripes me about the Gen 5 is that everybody goes on about the “increased accuracy” but I’m not seeing any improvement. Perhaps a decline due to the trigger. I can bench a Gen 5 next to a Gen 3 and it seems the Gen 3s are as or more accurate.

I too shoot a 19 better than 17. A 19 Gen 3 with a Raven Freya suits me well. The 4th generation Glocks have been the very worst in my opinion. The trigger varies from the Gen 3 due to a nub on the trigger bar under constant friction through the trigger bar. The interchange backstraps also required a slight geometry change: enter the dot connector, which, consequently, makes Gen 3 guns awesome.

That said, I think either Glock works for you or it doesn’t. No reason to keep wanting to retry them. People give Glock too much awe.

What don't you like about the trigger? The consensus has been pretty much unanimous that the Gen 5 trigger is much improved over previous generations.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    I didn't like the feel of most Glock pistols until I tried a 19x with an Agency trigger & the medium backstrap. That put my finger in the right place with the right "length of pull".

I've since picked up a 2nd slide & had it cut for an RMR.

Feedback Score
    It feels perceptibly heavier. It now has the “rolling break” like everything else after decades of Glock-apologists telling us that Glock triggers were superior for their defined wall.

Gauging the new trigger it maxes at a similar weight to previous generations but it’s as if you apply that about or pressure through more travel. I get better B8s and better scores on drills/action shooting with the old triggers.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Years ago I had shot some Gen 2 and Gen 3 Glocks. After those experiences I put them on the back burner and never thought about getting a Glock. Fast forward 10ish years and I shot a Gen 4/19. I was thoroughly surprised. I picked it up fro 300 with only 50 rounds through it, 15 of which were from me. I enjoyed that pistol until I traded it for a NIB HK USPc 45. Last year I picked up a Gen5/34 MOS—again am thoroughly enjoying this Glock. Trigger feels fine to me, better than my previous Gen 4. I enjoy the Gen 5 so much I am really wanting a G5/19 MOS or FS model now.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast