Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone accidentally used 300 blkout in 556?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    As others have suggested, my solution for this is to use mil spec mags for .300blk and Magpul for 5.56. I don't intermingle the two.
    So far so good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Reading through this thread again, I’ve noted a few accounts of someone finding a single round of .300 in a case/can/bulk/pile of 5.56 ammo. It appears that this mostly happens to people that also own a .300. So, it seems likely that the user accidentally put it there.

But to clarify: has anyone found a round of .300 in a new, unopened case of bulk ammo? Or, anyone find a round of .300 in a case of 5.56, that does not also own a .300? In other words, do we have any known examples of a manufacturer effing it up?
    In my case, I had loaded the magazines from a freshly opened case of ammo, and after the KB, went through the ammo and found a second 300 BLK round in the case. I sure as heck did not put them in the case. They shipped that way from the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, I had purchased .223 ammo from multiple vendors based on price at different times following the "buy it cheap and stack it deep" policy, and had removed the packing list from the box, so I did not know who I purchased it from to raise hell with them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I got permission from my editor at Guns & Ammo to post this article here since it is very much a safety issue. Now I just have to figure out how to do that-- it's a PDF file.

Feedback Score
    I choose not to use both calibers while at the range. I will choose 5.56 or 300 for that particular session. Additionally, I also use color coded magazines.

Feedback Score
    I've ordered a few BLK specific mags from BCM and like the fact they are labeled with that caliber on the side. Even with the mags that clearly state they are for the 300, I can see how a mix-up can happen.

I had brought both my carbine in 5.56 and my pistol in 300 for a range day and while loading mags in between drills I came to the realization my mind had been wandering. Looking at the table and seeing both 5.56 and 300 along with nearly identical mags present gave me a cold chill...I unloaded every mag, took every round of 300 and put it in my vehicle. Nothing ended up in a mag where it shouldn't have been but ever since, if I'm shooting one caliber, the other is at home in the safe.

Feedback Score
    Ok, just putting this out there- no 300blk experience.

Know your capabilities, and work within it. I- especially if I have new people out- use one gun, one caliber at a time... with layers.

Old caliber gets packed up
    New caliber factory boxes come out and get inventoried
    New caliber into its own mag
    Dedicated mag for what we are shooting

This takes about 60 seconds, and the average person watching wouldnt know, but 100% wipe out / pack up previous cal, the bring out new cal- then inventory, then check that all new mags are clear, then Have fun.
    You have to do this 100% of the time, even by your self the day before if handling gear... all the time.

If you have both at the same time, or don't 100% clear on-deck inventory, you are putting your balls in fate’s (or your buddies) hand- no bueno.

You place multiple “dummy proof” layers, and the chances if ****ing up drop quick because you have multiple obvious chances to see it.

Probability. Severity. Visibility. The 3 factors to a disaster. Minimize 1&2, maximize #3. This should really be done with a lot of your life.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-20-19 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks Ned. Will be looking forward to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I got permission from my editor at Guns & Ammo to post this article here since it is very much a safety issue. Now I just have to figure out how to do that-- it's a PDF file.
    I am new to shooting 300 BO but what I do it wrap my mags in blue tape and write “300 BLK” on them. Ammo cans with 300 BLK have a wrap of blue tape around them as well.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 11-21-19 at 07:01.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Anybody know how I can post a PDF? Imgur does not seem to work with them.

Feedback Score
    If nothing else you can copy and paste the text from the PDF.
    Last edited by CrashAxe; 12-04-19 at 12:05. Reason: Voice to text sucks sometimes.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Anybody know how I can post a PDF? Imgur does not seem to work with them.
    You could convert the PDF to a jpeg and use imgur after - https://smallpdf.com/pdf-to-jpg

You could try to go into advanced on the reply and click on the attachment icon but pdf's need to be really small.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast