Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone accidentally used 300 blkout in 556?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Anyone accidentally used 300 blkout in 556?

I like 300 blkout and want one again. I like its intended use/ ballistics and makes an excellent suppressed host. I sold it because I thought it was too spendy at the time with ammo prices high, I wouldn't get the use out of it I wanted.

I almost became a victim of chambering a 300 blkout round into one of my nicest ARs. It happen to be the top round in a magazine and I looked at it for a second when I picked it up to insert it. It was a very relieving feeling. When you are speed loading mags it's easy to not really look.

Yes I label everything, extremely cautious, but somehow a single round made its way into the wrong ammo can. Ive since dwindled down to only carrying 22lr, 9mm, .45acp, 556, 7.62x39, 308 and have been wanting a 300blk again and maybe reload.

Have any of you ever come close or worse?

Here's a good article about it
    https://rifleshooter.com/2019/08/ano...barrel-kaboom/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Happened to me. It SUCKS! Someone (not me) had loaded a handful 5.56 on top of some 220 Grain 300BLK Subs in one of my magazines. I found out the hard way. Rifle was a total loss.
    Joe Marler
    Law Enforcement Sales Manager

jmarler@danieldefense.com
    www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marler5811 View Post
    Happened to me. It SUCKS! Someone (not me) had loaded a handful 5.56 on top of some 220 Grain 300BLK Subs in one of my magazines. I found out the hard way. Rifle was a total loss.
    I'm sorry to hear that damn. Depending on the AR it could be multiple thousands lost but worse an injury. Glad your ok

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We put 5.56 once in an identically configured 6.8SPC.

The round went bang and a big swirl of blue smoke emanated from every orifice in the reciever.

Rifle and shooter were unharmed.

The bullet left the bore.

The case split across the base and ballooned the neck.

It was more like a low pressure event than an over pressure event.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I did an article in one of the Guns & Ammo AR15 specials-- the 6/25/2019 edition. Yep it blowed up alright. Bullet stuck in the barrel; it got reeeaall long.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I got lucky with mine. I loaded magazines up before the night before I left my brother's place. I was really tired and should of known better, I was shooting rounds through my new upper and noticed the bolt wasn't all the way closed. I pulled back on the charging handle to eject the round and noticed it looked odd, I retrieved it and it was a .300 blackout round. I went through the rest of my magazines and found two more of them ended up in my other ones.
    Last edited by Alpine2k3; 08-05-19 at 17:54.
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We would definitely Eff this up if we ran this caliber. We make every mistake possible.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some shooters say you should own either a .308 or a .270, but never both. If you chamber a .308 round in a .270 rifle (it will chamber) and fire it, you will either be dead or messed up for life.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    300 Blackout is why they make Lancer mags. Seriously I would color code the rifles, use different mags, and only take one caliber to the range on any certain day. If you are getting 300 and 5.56 mixed in the same pile you really need to work on inventory control. I like the Blackout for what it is, an effective PDW and modern day Sturmgewehr but if you are going to run it alongside 5.56's you had better be a responsible adult otherwise you might poke your eye out.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    300 Blackout is why they make Lancer mags. Seriously I would color code the rifles, use different mags, and only take one caliber to the range on any certain day. If you are getting 300 and 5.56 mixed in the same pile you really need to work on inventory control. I like the Blackout for what it is, an effective PDW and modern day Sturmgewehr but if you are going to run it alongside 5.56's you had better be a responsible adult otherwise you might poke your eye out.
    Yes I run all my rifles in 556 and the lack of use, price of ammo (if not reloading), and the possibility of ammo mixup finalized my want to sell the 300 blk. I do want to get one back. Somehow one round made it's way into a case of 556. That's all it takes.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast