Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone accidentally used 300 blkout in 556?

Feedback Score
    This is why my 30 black out is a mini14 now. Can not confuse the 2. I am sorry for the people on here that used 300 in a 5.56. But i am glad you guys are ok.

Feedback Score
    Ah,..Hey robbins290,. It's not about confusing the gun,(per say LOL) it's about the .300AMMO.... and about .300Blackout making it into .223/5.56 barrel via a round (.300Blackout) being mixed into a mag., then being chambered into said smaller dia. barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    This is why my 30 black out is a mini14 now. Can not confuse the 2. I am sorry for the people on here that used 300 in a 5.56. But i am glad you guys are ok.
    Last edited by RVTMaverick; 10-24-19 at 08:43. Reason: because I had to add (per say LOL)
    The lessons that we learn are written the tomb stones of others. -Reid Henrichs

Feedback Score
    Yes, i know that. But i was worried about the same thing. So i got a different platform that takes different mags. Tho i did not thank about using mil spec mags for one an d magpul for the other. I take other steps to prevent it. And i was also commenting like some of the other people here of there steps to prevent that problem.

Feedback Score
    I have painted my odd caliber magazines after wrapping them in embroidered lace cloth. As a sort of camo, this makes them stand out from my 223/556 mags. I also only load mags with one caliber at a time and when I inspect my ammo I make sure it is all the same caliber.

Feedback Score
    I shoot both rounds frequently. I have several 5.56 rifles and (so far) only one 300. I sometimes take newer shooters out (usually nieces/nephews, or my friends kids), or have shooting buddies that are relatively unfamiliar with the blackout. My 300 is a 16" set up with a 1-6x. It looks just like one of my 5.56 rifles. Someone could easily confuse them. The possibility of someone jamming the wrong round into the wrong mag without me catching it would be rare but not completely impossible. So to mitigate this I have a few rules I play by.

-1st: Segregated mags. 5.56 only in polymer mags, .300 black only in metal GI-type mags. I don't cross-pollinate, ever.

-2nd: I keep all of my various calibers and range tools in color-coded .50cal cans lined up on my tailgate. I always put the 5.56 can on one end and the 300 can on the opposite side. Whatever pistol, large-rifle or tool cans I bring out that day act as a buffer between the two. That way myself or others cannot accidentally drop an errant blackout round into the 5.56 can(or versa vice) to be inadvertently picked up and loaded when jamming mags. A lot of times guests (especially younger ones) will jump on magazine loading duty in an effort to be helpful. Which is awesome as long as they follow my next rule.

-3rd: If/when letting others shoot my stuff I very firmly stress which rifle is which and which round is which. Usually I'll just put a band of blue painters tape around the .300 handgaurd and another band on each of the corresponding mags along with a matching tape-tab on the .300 can.

-4th(and most importantly): PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU AND THOSE AROUND YOU ARE DOING!!! F-ups are usually preventable if you just focus on the task at hand. No conversation is that important. Pay attention to which rounds go into which mag and which mag goes into which rifle. It only takes a couple of seconds to double check yourself if unsure.

-5th: Epstein didn't kill himself.
    Last edited by 77nodnarb; 11-19-19 at 23:08.

Feedback Score
    This right here ^^^^is the correct answer. Color code everything. I think its Magpul that puts a dark brown floorplate on their 300 BO specific mags now, maybe lancer. Either way pick a system and stick with it. Even use colored duct tape. That way you can never go wrong. Do the same with your ammo boxes. Stay alert around guns and ammo.
    This system will never fail if you use it ALL the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 77nodnarb View Post
    I shoot both rounds frequently. I have several 5.56 rifles and only one 300. I sometimes (although rarely) take new shooters out or have shooting buddies that are relatively unfamiliar with the blackout. My 300 is a 16" set up with a 1-6x. It looks just like one of my 5.56 rifles. The possibility of someone jamming the wrong round into the wrong mag without me catching it would be rare but not completely impossible. So to mitigate this I have a few rules I play by.

-1st: Segregated mags. 5.56 only in polymer mags, .300 only in metal GI-type mags. I don't cross-pollinate, ever.

-2nd: I keep all of my various calibers and range tools in color-coded .50cal cans lined up on my tailgate. I always put the 5.56 can on one end and the .300 can on the opposite side. Whatever pistol, large-rifle or tool cans I bring out that day act as a buffer between the two. That way myself or others cannot accidentally drop an errant blackout round into the 5.56 can(or versa vice) to be inadvertently picked up and loaded when jamming mags. A lot of times guests (especially younger ones) will jump on magazine loading duty in an effort to be helpful. Which is awesome as long as they follow my next rule.

-3rd: If/when letting others shoot my stuff I very firmly stress which rifle is which and which round is which. Usually I'll just put a band of blue painters tape around the .300 handgaurd and another band on each of the corresponding mags along with a matching tape-tab on the .300 can.

-4th(and most importantly): PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU AND THOSE AROUND YOU ARE DOING!!! F-ups are usually preventable if you just focus on the task at hand. No conversation is that important. Pay attention to which rounds go into which mag and which mag goes into which rifle. It only takes a second or two to double check yourself if unsure.

-5th: Epstein didn't kill himself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I was taking a pistol class once upon a time and a .40 got mixed up with my .45. Shooting 1911’s. I just happen to load it when the class was competeting in one of two competitions, it cost me. I picked the spent round up only to allow that same round back in my gun during the second competition of the class.
    PB
    I did the exact same thing. Picked it up, tried it again ... twice, until the gun fired. I immediately suspected a squib. Checked out the gun, then saw the split case on the ground.

Felt like an Idiot!

I saw a guy chamber a 338 Win Mag in his 416 Win Mag and shoot a cape Buffalo. Gun went bang, very little recoil, bullet penetrated the hide, and stopped. Luckily it was after the initial shot.

Feedback Score
    I have two 300 BLK’s. A bolt Mod 7/AAC (collaboration Remington w AAC I guess) and an SBR 10.5” AR.

I love that bolt gun so much, I never shoot the AR. Both wear the Omega can and the bolt gun is stupid quiet w everything from 190 gr to 240 gr Nosler Custom competition (exact same profile as SMK’s). It is my favorite gun of everything I own.

Interesting point for pig hunters, at subsonic loads (1000 FPS), the 190’s will exit a pig broadside. The 240 will kill two pigs standing side by side if the bullet exits at the proper angle. I use this gun exclusively for the business of killing pigs, and business has been good!

Feedback Score
    I use metal mags for 300 BLK and PMAGS for .223.

That still didn't keep me from having a KABOOM when I got a 300BLK round in a case of .223 ammo. The round cracked the receiver, destroyed the bolt, and blew the magazine apart out the bottom of the magwell. It is like having a flashbang go off a foot from your face. The bullet made it through the barrel though, and did not damage the suppressor.

In 34 years of shooting, it was the first time I had ever seen firsthand or experienced a KB in real life. It makes you a true believer in always wearing eye pro, regardless of whether or not you are shooting at steel, let me tell you!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Reading through this thread again, I’ve noted a few accounts of someone finding a single round of .300 in a case/can/bulk/pile of 5.56 ammo. It appears that this mostly happens to people that also own a .300. So, it seems likely that the user accidentally put it there.

But to clarify: has anyone found a round of .300 in a new, unopened case of bulk ammo? Or, anyone find a round of .300 in a case of 5.56, that does not also own a .300? In other words, do we have any known examples of a manufacturer effing it up?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast