Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Et tu, Dan Crenshaw?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The 1A is one of the most protected rights we have, and there have been court cases where even threats or incitement of violence are ruled ok as long as there's no imminent action. So it's really hard to roll people up for making vague threats online because a lot of it is protected speech. Add to that there's untold number of 'threats' posted online every single day, and there's just not enough resources to follow up and investigate the vast majority. Only the most specific and imminent of threats really will get looked at, and even then the file might sit on a desk for days/weeks/months before action is taken.

Then you have to work with the tech co's to get IP logs and user data which may or may not be evidence of anything. Its just a ton of work to investigate threats made online and actually get to a conviction that would rise to a felony level of making someone a prohibited person.
    I can assure you I was not now, nor will I ever be, interested in creating a "prohibited person." If someone is safe enough to be out running around then they are certainly safe enough to have a firearm considering there are plenty of ways to create death and destruction by way of items that do not require a 4473.

Not all of the threats were made online and making threats, even as hyperbole, is a common way to end up in court.

But assuming there is a lack of Interest in investigating and Prosecuting death threats, why are red flag laws going to suddenly cause people to start wanting to do the jobs they were supposed to be doing the whole time?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I can assure you I was not now, nor will I ever be, interested in creating a "prohibited person." If someone is safe enough to be out running around then they are certainly safe enough to have a firearm considering there are plenty of ways to create death and destruction by way of items that do not require a 4473.

Not all of the threats were made online and making threats, even as hyperbole, is a common way to end up in court.

But assuming there is a lack of Interest in investigating and Prosecuting death threats, why are red flag laws going to suddenly cause people to start wanting to do the jobs they were supposed to be doing the whole time?

I don't disagree with you just pointing out that 'online death threats' aren't something that's routinely prosecuted to start a criminal record on people, and even then the odds of getting a felony for posting stupid shit online is basically zero.

Red flag laws will give heavily abused, and there's already a process in the majority of state's to commit someone where they should legally get flagged. Its basically just a buzzword the left came up with get a way for gun owners to get their property taken away because 'someone said something'.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I think it is extremely difficult to prevent violent crime by first time offenders without becoming an Orwellian society. There is always risk in a free society and first time offenders is one of them.

But, I do think we gloss over many lesser crimes that had the subject been suffering some appropriate consequences along the way might have deterred him from escalating or at least reduced his time out roaming free.

And we need a better way to intervene with mental illness when it leads down these paths of violence. Most mentally ill fo not go on rampages but I find it hard to believe there are no reliable indicators before a killing occurs. Many of them seem to be withdrawn and caught up in violent fantasy. But even families have been prevented from intervening u til something terrible happens.

Exactly. Aside from gun owners you can't turn people dealing with mental health issues into 2nd class citizens because people won't see help, and mass punishment or restricting their rights is unconstitutional. A depressed person is not on the same level as someone who is a ward of the state or some form of retardation from birth that qualifies for permanent disability/care.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just don't like the way they give criminals so much weight and power to forward their political means.

No politician wants you armed. To be armed is to be independent.

Someone totally blackpilled me by using Christian music. Like let me explain.

He was playing some Christian rock from the 90s and it sounded edgy and raw instrumental wise. Then he said "pay attention to the lyrics" and it was Christian themed. Okay cool. Then he says "If they replaced Jesus and Lord with Baby and Girl....they'd be indistinguishable"

And then he says.....Republicans do the same thing. Replace anything they say about God and Freedom with Public and Responsibility and they say the exact same things.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617