Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone run a Vortex Razor 1-6x on their issue M4A1?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Anyone run a Vortex Razor 1-6x on their issue M4A1?

I'm considering getting one on my issued gun and was wondering how the JM-1 reticle does with the M855A1 round and if a 1.93 mount clears a PEQ-15 on the standard non-cool kid KAC rail mounted at the 12 o'clock.

Anyone have any experience? Any feedback is appreciated.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Yes, the FOV will be cleared.

The BDC will not be very close past 300. I’d strongly encourage the MRAD reticle and, if you have the facilities, a true 100m zero.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Yes, the FOV will be cleared.

The BDC will not be very close past 300. I’d strongly encourage the MRAD reticle and, if you have the facilities, a true 100m zero.
    What's the benefit of the MRAD? It's hard to find practical reviews that can me figure out if it's worth it.

ETA: All the info I can find on MRAD seems to apply to long range precision (Sniper / SDM) and I'm looking for something simple and quick to use for grunt stuff (and I'm not good at math).
    Last edited by kaltesherz; 08-07-19 at 19:05. Reason: Clarification
    PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I kind of fail to see the usefulness on 1x6 MRAD on a duty carbine, the hashmarks on a JM-1 might not line up every 100 meters but they will correspond to a range with your duty ammo, learn what that is and you are good to go.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Just have to memorize your drops in mils.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I don't think there was ever an issue with the ACOG BDC and the PEQ.

Will they let you qual with that too?
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I kind of fail to see the usefulness on 1x6 MRAD on a duty carbine, the hashmarks on a JM-1 might not line up every 100 meters but they will correspond to a range with your duty ammo, learn what that is and you are good to go.
    With his specific ammo and the very likely range limitations he’ll face, he won’t be able to get a true 50/200 and it’s my experience with the TA31 and M855A1 that the BDC will be significantly enough different beyond 300 that it goes from “close enough” to a miss pretty quickly.

I’ve never shot at anyone fully exposed, it was usually a small portion of their torso before they bopped and weaved somewhere else while we closed the distance and coordinated fires. I’m a huge fan of a BDC reticle (you can read my post history, and I love my TA31) but for his application, I think he would be well served with the MRAD and learning his corresponding POA at the subtension marks.

I have two Razors, both with the VMR MOA and 100y zero. With my ammo, I have a 4.2 MOA drop at 300y, 7.8 MOA at 400y, 12.1 MOA drop at 500y, and 17.8 MOA drop at 600y. With the 4 MOA subtension values in the reticle, that corresponds almost perfectly with each major drop I’ve DOPEd for my carbine.

With above average range estimation skills, I can make confident first round shots out to 400y without having to consider much of a difference in POA from the corresponding stadia.

If I were gridlocked with a BDC that wasn’t designed for my round, I’d be playing the “observe for splash and adjust” game.

Having spent two of my three deployments with an ACOG and M855A1, I’ve made the choice to optimize my personal rifle setup. My OEF clone gat has an ACOG that plays very nicely with 62gr Magtech, so I’m not as concerned.
    Last edited by GTF425; 08-07-19 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Also never engaged anyone at exact distances. It’s always ****ed up shit like 172, 330, 419, etc.

Removing as many mental gymnastics as possible makes that problem solving of “2 targets at unknown distance, 350ish meters and 200ish” and making minor adjustments to POA as necessary is simpler to me than having a reticle which lines up at 50/264/380/472 etc.

Just my opinion, being both an ACOG dude that appreciated their ease of use with green tip and a happy Razor owner with a better rifle and ammo than I was issued.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post

The ACOG is a non issue being fixed 4x.

It’s only a concern with LPVOs dialed down to 1x.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post

As GTF425 pointed out, the 4x magnification of TA31's keeps the FOV from ever getting a PEQ in the way. Hell, I could see fine with a M203 leaf sight up...

I used a personal TA11 for years and greatly prefer to to the issue TA31- twice the eye relief, better FOV and reticle with only a slight loss in magnification. I really like ACOGs as they make range estimation stupid easy and I like having the holdovers to make far off hits, but the eye relief on my issued TA31 is driving me crazy and I got sick of taking my personal TA11 on and off- even with a QD LaRue mount I'm losing my zero (admittedly not by much). I can't leave it on as even after being rattlecanned, it'll screw up SI count as they'll no doubt mix it up with the issued ones.

The Razor has the benefit of looking nothing like an issued optic, has more magnification for PID, and gives me the basic capabilities of a CCO or ACOG (METT-TC dependent). Also since the reticles of ACOGs no longer line up with M855A1 I was hoping the JM-1 would be more accurate. The MRAD gives me more to work with at extended ranges, but I might have to check one out first hand... it looks a little on the complicated / cluttered side (remember, I'm used to lizard brain ACOG grunt shit).

Does anyone make a reticle for M855A1 yet?
    PRAISE THE FALLEN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast