Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Red Dot Sights: Questions for the Experienced

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, Joe.

Yes, I knew the red dot is independent of the iron front sight. The sight I have lines up perfectly with the top of the A2 sight post when the dot is centered in the optic. I need to sight it in and experiment a bit to see if the front sight is a help or a hindrance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    To me co-witness is overrated. If you are using a RDS correctly you are looking way past the front sight. The best way to learn how to shoot a dot sight is with the front cap down or taped up. Fit a mount the correct height for the way you shoot and don't worry about Co-witness.
    Some people, like me, can’t do this. When I close the cover on a red dot I get a large shift in how I see the dot. Yes, I’m using both eyes open with a target focus but for whatever reason the dot will shift about a foot to the right at 10yards. If I put the rifle in a rest and put the dot center mass and just open and close the cover I can see the dot shift back and forth. I’ve seen the term phoria used to describe this but I’m not sure that’s accurate. I’ve seen a lot of others that have the same problem.
    I have no problem using an RDS with both eyes open. I shoot high magnification scopes with both eyes open. But close the front lens cover and I ain’t hitting anything.
    Last edited by sniperfrog; 08-11-19 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    Some people, like me, can’t do this. When I close the cover on a red dot I get a large shift in how I see the dot. Yes, I’m using both eyes open with a target focus but for whatever reason the dot will shift about a foot to the right at 10yards. If I put the rifle in a rest and put the dot center mass and just open and close the cover I can see the dot shift back and forth. I’ve seen the term phoria used to describe this but I’m not sure that’s accurate. I’ve seen a lot of others that have the same problem.
    I have no problem using an RDS with both eyes open. I shoot high magnification scopes with both eyes open. But close the front lens cover and I ain’t hitting anything.
    Phoria is the phenomenon. Basically it refers to your eyes alignment. With the cap closed your non sighting eye is the sole source of spatial data. If your eye alignment is out of wack then you will have a poi shift.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Thanks, Joe.

Yes, I knew the red dot is independent of the iron front sight. The sight I have lines up perfectly with the top of the A2 sight post when the dot is centered in the optic. I need to sight it in and experiment a bit to see if the front sight is a help or a hindrance.
    On one hand, being able to put the dot on top of the sight post helps illuminate parallax because you are keeping the dot in a consistent point in the sight.

On the other hand, deliberately lining up the dot and front sight also defeats the advantages of a red dot, especially from unconventional shooting positions.

I prefer a lower 1/3 (taller) mount to the (mostly) co-witness my factory AP PRO mount offers. The taller mount allows me to look over the sights and the sight picture seems less cluttered. Both allow the use of iron sights with no issue.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12