Thread: Benchmade AKOA Agreement?

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Benchmade AKOA Agreement?

Just got my second OTF Benchmade auto (first was stolen - a Phaeton). Never “registered” the first one, so never went to the website. Decided to register when I got the new Precipice, and saw this AKOA crap. Do they really mean this in any way? I’m sure most don’t meet these criteria :). Input or experience?

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Yeah, they absolutely mean it. The federal auto-knife laws make even less sense than most gun laws.

If you meet any of the exceptions (LEO, Active duty Mil, Benchmade dealer, etc., etc.) listed in the AKOA just drop the knife in the mail.

If not, when/if the knife needs warranty work make sure you take it to a Benchmade dealer and have them send the knife to Benchmade for you.

I sent and Infidel in for refurb and went through a dealer. The whole process was stupid, but easy enough: I mailed him the knife via USPS (we're in the same state, so ok by federal law), he sent it to Benchmade, they did the repairs for free, returned the knife to the dealer, and he shipped it back to me. I paid for shipping to and from the in-state dealer, and there might've been a $10 fee paid to the dealer for handling everything, I can't remember exactly. Whole thing took about a month, most of that time with the knife at Benchmade. It came back with all new springs, and a new blade.

The alternative is mailing your knife to Benchmade directly, in violation of federal law, and then having them refuse to return it.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 08-10-19 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    I believe this is for when ordering online, and shipping across state lines. I'm pretty sure it applies to all automatic knife manufacturers.
    DK

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This infuriates me (just the kind of old geezer I am:).
    Just sent them an email saying this should be stated upfront before purchasing their knife (never happen:) and asked them to purchase back my damn knife (also will never happen:). Made me feel better tho:)

Thanks for the feedback - never knew about such idiotic nonsense. Anyone know if other auto knife manufacturers do such silliness? TIA

geezer john

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    This infuriates me (just the kind of old geezer I am.
    Just sent them an email saying this should be stated upfront before purchasing their knife (never happen and asked them to purchase back my damn knife (also will never happen. Made me feel better tho

Thanks for the feedback - never knew about such idiotic nonsense. Anyone know if other auto knife manufacturers do such silliness? TIA

geezer john

It's not entirely Benchmade's fault, the relevant federal law was passed in 1958 (when the country was in a panic over gangs with switchblades) and as Dukr said, the rules apply to all automatic knives in the US. And it's worth noting the Federal definition of a switchblade includes Balisong (Butterfly) knives and gravity knives.

Here's the text of the 1958 Federal Switchblade Act:

https://kniferights.org/resources/fe...itchblade-act/

And a good summary of the history of the Act:

http://knife-expert.com/swbl-leg.txt

The similarities between the switchblade panic of the 1950s and the current debate over gun control are surreal.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 08-11-19 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    So I have a question. Obviously if you send in an auto knife and they refuse to return it due to AKOA, can you demand they send it to an authorized dealer for resale? It isn’t their property and owning an auto knife isn’t illegal. If they keep it, that’s theft.

Just curious.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the information, gentleman - I’ve learned even more about this country we live in:)
    So a company can sell to me and send me an auto knife, but I cannot return it to them if I am not on a certain list - even though I may qualify for CCW in my state and have been through all sorts of background checks. (and yes, I know - one shouldn’t need a background check for an auto knife!). Yet another thing the Dems will try to take away if they gain any more power!

geezer john

Feedback Score
    My dad and I were checking out some knives once and the fella behind the counter wouldn't even let my pops touch the automatic knives, I got to fondle them though (active military). Sounds like a heck of a hassle if I ever have to send in my Kershaw auto, especially since in California it's legal to possess, but not carry or purchase... Go figure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I was just looking at the Benchmade Cyber Monday deals and this caught me unaware. Benchmade really needs to be more upfront about that they don't really sell these online, when you consider the relatively few people are active military. Auto knives are legal in CO, so I figured I was GTG.

I did see:

To supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National Guard, or militia of a State, Territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;
    is this the loop-hole I think it is?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.