Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Have M4 Specialty Assembly Tools

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The reaction rod lugs go into the steel locking lugs in the barrel. Not the aluminum upper.
    Yep. That lets the aluminum upper turn against the index pin when torquing the barrel nut.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Yep. That lets the aluminum upper turn against the index pin when torquing the barrel nut.
    And, if the upper is held in blocks, the barrel tries to rotate with the nut, loading the indexing pin against the slot in the upper.

Like you said - six of one half dozen of the other.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've assembled uppers with the clamshell blocks, I've assembled uppers with a Reaction Rod. I haven't assembled any uppers with the clamshell block since I got the reaction rod. Neither are perfect, and either will work but the ability to rotate the upper on the Reaction Rod to perform other tasks is well worth it.

Feedback Score
    i have the Geissele trigger pin tool, and also the KAK trigger pin tool. The KAK differs from the Geissele in that the first 1/4" or so is a slightly reduced diameter, to help get things started.

I have KNS pins in all my lowers. Consequently, the one trigger tool that I use the most is the Schuster delrin trigger pin pusher, more than the G or the KAK. The fat end of the Schuster delrin tool is good for pushing out the pin with the flats without slipping off and FUBARing the side of the lower, or putting rectangular holes in your finger, and the skinny end works like the others in helping out with alignment, holding in place. non-marring also, and the delrin hasn't sheared off yet despite being the most-used trigger removal/install tool.

I have the Midwest upper receiver rod, both AR-15 and 308, and the Geissele reaction rod, AR-15 and 308. I prefer the Geissele version sofar because when mounted in a vise, it allows for clocking of the barrel, receiver assembly at more work positions.

I tried the Geissele buffer tube tool a couple of times, found that to be cumbersome, for castle nut tightening, easier for me (JIMHO) to use a magwell block in a vise and the MAGPUL wrench, with a buttstock and the eyeball. Using the magwell block allows you to eyeball it from the buttstock end to see if it's lined up with the pistol grip. Maybe I just didn't get the hang of the G tool, it was expensive.

I use my roll pin punches, and my roll pin starter punches all the time. Also the Wheeler FAT.

Also use the clamshell receiver block for receiver front face lapping (PTG or Brownells).

GO and NO-GO gauges in your calibers.

another handy item is the cleaning rod guide (alum or delrin) that slips into the receiver to keep your cleaning rod straight and co-linear with the barrel bore, but they're caliber-specific.

just my 2 cent contribution, FWIW.
    Last edited by rpoL98; 08-11-19 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    There is a pretty solid list of basic items on this page: http://www.semperparatusarms.com/ar1...e-information/. All or most of these items can be purchased on either Amazon or Brownells. Will Larson aka iraqgunz was a Moderator here and taught one hell of an armorers class.
    Last edited by drtywk; 08-11-19 at 20:32.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I haven't exceeded 50 ft lbs installing a barrel nut. Shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by Rifleman_04; 08-11-19 at 22:45.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by Rifleman_04; 08-11-19 at 22:46.

Hindsight is 6920

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast