Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lower Part kit, organize springs

Feedback Score
    That cut down spring won't have the same retaining power without the 4-40 set screw behind it. So if your new build has a tapped hole I would reuse it there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    Any issues if those three are installed in a location other than what you specified?
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    That cut down spring won't have the same retaining power without the 4-40 set screw behind it. So if your new build has a tapped hole I would reuse it there.
    The selector detent pin spring won't fit in the channel/hole for the take down or pivot pin detent springs.

On an Aero lower I just took out of the box, the pivot pin detent spring hole pinned at .095; the safety selector spring hole pinned at .126.

According to my chart, the safety selector spring is .10 in diameter, the safety detent pin is .124; the pivot pin spring is .088, the detent pin is .091

I've always used the selector and ejector springs interchangeably - they are the same length and diameter.

ETA: when I was tapping the rear take down detent spring channel, I shortened the spring only the length of the set screw. I used a razor blade to hold it level and used a good hex key (not ball end) to hold the set screw solid against the razor blade as I slowly lid it away. Another option is to use a longer set screw and shorten the spring more, but I didn't like that idea.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-16-19 at 19:41.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great knowledge presented in this thread for my 1st build, therefore I bookmarked this thread.

1st purchased lower kit locally, then ordered a CMMG lower part kit from Brownells. Arrived minus one take down/pivot detent spring. :-( CMMG package was sealed, very strange.

This morning notified Brownells & CMMG via email, hopefully one or both will send another spring.

Again thanks for all the valuable info!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123