Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, I am going to refocus on 1911s and my new carry blaster is a Wilson Lightweight

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

OK, I am going to refocus on 1911s and my new carry blaster is a Wilson Lightweight

Gentlemen and ladies (not that I can recall a lady on here).

I picked up a super duper fancy Wilson Combat and barring disaster, I plan on shooting the living crap out of it. After last weekend's unholy trinity of shootings I started thinking about rethinking my daily carry. Most of the time I carry a J-frame (with the first shot a snake shot since I live on a large piece of wooded property with snakes galore). I have on with me unless I am in the shower, bed or Superior Courthouse. But I started thinking I wanted to have a gun that would be the perfect handgun for dealing with an armed, motivated opponent. So, there is no reason for me to abandon my J-frame which resides in my pocket anyway. So I started thinking about the attributes I like in a gun. I have a lot of guns, I have a USP 45, B92G, BHP, 5 inch 45s, Glock 19, etc. They are all great, but they are all big and awkward to carry. The B92 is a beast. The 1911 and the G19 are kind of tied. While the .45 is heavy, it is very thin and comfortably rides in the waistband. The G19 is a bit lighter, but not so comfortable in my waistband, and frankly the only gun that I shoot worse than it is my Shield. So I decided to look for a lightweight 1911. I remembered having a Colt CCO years ago and thought I really should look for one of those. But then I looked into the DW Valor which seems pretty damn nice. Then I found a Wilson lightweight Commander compact that looked perfect. It had the Ameriglo HD style sights, cary melt, and was in 9mm with a fairly serious carry melt. Since I don't think any gun shoots better than a 9mm 1911 and the CCO grip would make it an easy carry I decided to buy it. It wasn't cheap....
    pix771186228 by stoiclawyer, on FlickrUntitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

I have shot it three time since Thursday when I got it. I shot it the first night, Friday at an indoor range, and Today. I have shot the following ammunition....

50 147 HST
    68 147 Hydra Shock
    50 147 Ranger T
    100 124 grain Blazer brass
    150 115 Atlanta Arms (reloads at range)
    50 115 Blazer brass
    9 124 Gold Dot
    50 S&B 115

(527 rounds)

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

The gun functions flawlessly. I did not clean the interior of the weapon while performing this "break in" routine. I think Wilson Recommends 200 full power rounds to break in before cleaning. I did however spray some oil inside the gun.

I have been pretty lazy with my practice over the last year. I have a pistol pit with steel plates but I really have just been plinking (with some shooting on the move, etc), but rarely a timer. I am going to refocus my practice again. I want to Improve my times and accuracy. Today I did some El Pres drills, and I made time, but it wasn't anything to write home about. But I also need to focus on accuracy. I have been shooting nothing but steel this year, so I am going to have to put up some paper targets and maybe do some dot drills. I did a bit of practice at 30 feet at the indoor range. The face shoots are double taps from concealment (not timed).

As you can tell, I don't negotiate with hostage takers.

I ordered a TT Gunleather XC Slim on the recommendation of a friend. Now I am running it in a Milt Sparks for a full size. I am really going to try an keep carrying this thing all the time. Wish me luck.

Anyway, I will be keeping a log here of 1. my times and drills with the guns and 2. any malfunctions or quirks. So far so good. The reliability has been 100 percent. The ejection is PERFECT. The trigger is perfect, and it is cosmetically amazing.

I’m sure I will not be able to resist some comparison shooting with my Glock 19 and my Beretta.

Issues? Nothing. The only knit-pick so far is the 9mm ETM mag is a bear to download. I also don't care for the look of the grips and am looking for some Ivories or something close to class her up.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Looks nice and will definitely be an upgrade to a j frame by itself.
    I have been considering a Dan Wesson Vigil in 9mm for future purchase.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A WC 1911 in 9mm has been on my want list for a while. I see myself getting one in the future.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I am not an island, parallel development, and whatever other idiom one chooses to throw at the problem... I went through almost the exact same transition. From J-frame to 9mm 1911 after the recent mass murders. The only difference was I went with Nighthawk, though it was a close call for Wilson.

Now, I've been meaning to upgrade for awhile, but I kicked things into top gear even if lightening is a greater threat. After all, we don't carry because the odds are in our favor. And, a 1911 will work just fine in all of the close-quarter stuff the J-frame excels at.

So, cheers! Great minds think alike and all of that.

For the Glock crowd, the G19 is compelling indeed, but I gave up capacity and corrosion resistance for the 1911 trigger. Is what it is. I don't denigrate the Glocks at all, just not for me. I'm returning to my roots, FWIW.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

I picked up a super duper fancy Wilson Combat and barring disaster, I plan on shooting the living crap out of it.

Your new gun shot low right

And you will sell it to me in a year.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Your new gun shot low right
    Yeah...yes that’s my story
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Gentlemen and ladies (not that I can recall a lady on here).

I picked up a super duper fancy Wilson Combat and barring disaster, I plan on shooting the living crap out of it. After last weekend's unholy trinity of shootings I started thinking about rethinking my daily carry. Most of the time I carry a J-frame (with the first shot a snake shot since I live on a large piece of wooded property with snakes galore). I have on with me unless I am in the shower, bed or Superior Courthouse. But I started thinking I wanted to have a gun that would be the perfect handgun for dealing with an armed, motivated opponent. So, there is no reason for me to abandon my J-frame which resides in my pocket anyway. So I started thinking about the attributes I like in a gun. I have a lot of guns, I have a USP 45, B92G, BHP, 5 inch 45s, Glock 19, etc. They are all great, but they are all big and awkward to carry. The B92 is a beast. The 1911 and the G19 are kind of tied. While the .45 is heavy, it is very thin and comfortably rides in the waistband. The G19 is a bit lighter, but not so comfortable in my waistband, and frankly the only gun that I shoot worse than it is my Shield. So I decided to look for a lightweight 1911. I remembered having a Colt CCO years ago and thought I really should look for one of those. But then I looked into the DW Valor which seems pretty damn nice. Then I found a Wilson lightweight Commander compact that looked perfect. It had the Ameriglo HD style sights, cary melt, and was in 9mm with a fairly serious carry melt. Since I don't think any gun shoots better than a 9mm 1911 and the CCO grip would make it an easy carry I decided to buy it. It wasn't cheap....
    Seems like a good plan. In a similar vein, maybe you've seen the thread over on pistol-forum about going back to carrying a 1911. I was surprised when the thread started, I expected all the Glock fanbois to come out of the woodwork and do a beatdown on the guy with all the usual tired cliches (design outdated, the 1911 is like a chick you dated in high school but now...., blah blah). But really few did, was actually glad to see that. Which points out that folks are realizing the 1911 has some virtues of its own. First and foremost (and as you said): you can shoot it fast and accurately.

Feedback Score
    IDK, 1911's are cool, but I have always questioned their reliability. Yes, I know there's guy who had put 1M rds throught his "brand of choice" 1911 without a single malfunction, but the reality is I would trust an out of box G19, PPQ, CZ, VP9, over any 1911, regardless of brand/cost.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Definitely sounds like you should get one of those then.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    That's BEAUTIFUL!

I've been thinking this way too. I carry an air lite scadnium j-frame only, well over 50% of the time. Full or semi-compact double stacks are too thick for comfortable carry. Even my little Sig P365 pushes it for concealed. The j-frame is always in the pocket though.

Reason number two... Single stack 1911s "should" be safe from common sense compromise for at least my lifetime. Should be. With that said, I have two "good" 1911s now. I'm bitten. I may have to trade them for ONE top tier like a Wilson, Night Hawk or GC.. I agree. NOTHING shoots better than a properly functioning 1911. Maybe as good, but not better.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast