Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: OK, I am going to refocus on 1911s and my new carry blaster is a Wilson Lightweight

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    You know, I'm aware of the history that nickel-plating and stainless steel have as a functional enhancement to a firearm, not just as an aesthetic one. I wonder if there's a similar history behind ivory stocks, or if it's just appearance.

(I personally like the aesthetics of an ivory-stocked pistol. It wasn't something that I'd seriously considered until I watched the video that Ken Hackathorn did about the Wilson Combat Hackathorn Special, and then I tried it. And I like it. Not enough to buy a set of real ivory grips, though, G10s are close enough for me. Although I have been giving thought to getting a set of polished ivory-colored micarta stocks from VZ or a set of those Wood Caliber holly grips with WC medallions.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Like Greg mentioned, there are much cheaper alternatives that look like ivory. That material he has sure look nice and very close to real ivory, I would need to look at it in person. G10 materials are also good substitute but doesn't feel like ivory.

That's what I think I know. I'm sure someone will come along and say I'm full of s h i t.
    I want to like G10 grips, but aside from a few small folding knives that need something which is impervious to dang near anything, I really don't care for it as a grip material. It feels exactly like what it is, with no pretensions to being a substiture for something organic.

I had some (paper?) micarta grips for a Ruger Vaquero that were a decent substitute for ivory, but that was near the end of the Lett operation and when the right side of the pair started to spontaneously delaminate, they refunded rather than replaced. I would invest in something similar for a 1911, but nobody seems to offer "ivory" micarta with a double-diamond checkering pattern... and I am currently in a dd phase.

toc

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Try woodcaliber, the holly grips are a dead ringer for ivory and aren’t even fake. They are just very light wood.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Try woodcaliber, the holly grips are a dead ringer for ivory and aren’t even fake.
    Thanks for the tip... I just looked on their site and saw that they can do Holly with a dd pattern. Most tempting!

toc

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nah. I dumped 1911 EDC after 20 years in favor of M&P9.

Active shooter? Gang of Thugz? 1911 goes to slide lock very quickly. 18>7 if it's your life. 1911 is now nostalgic range gun.

Feedback Score
    The guy with the 1911 will be hitting his intended target. Not laying down supressing fire in Starbucks.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    The guy with the 1911 will be hitting his intended target. Not laying down supressing fire in Starbucks.
    Ouch !!!! take that grock fanboys.

BTW, Greg's gun holds 11 not 7.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Ouch !!!! take that grock fanboys.

BTW, Greg's gun holds 11 not 7.
    Let them hate. Are THEIR pistols shooting on helicopters? I think not.

https://youtu.be/qCR_kuXySAY

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ Well, yeah.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Any updates?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast