G&R Tactical
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OK, I am going to refocus on 1911s and my new carry blaster is a Wilson Lightweight

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Ken Hackathorn uses ivory stocks on his carry guns and has stated that they've helped him develop a very strong grip.

Interesting. Being new to 1911s (swore for 30+ years I'd never have one, but now LOVE them) I thought the opposite. I have more research to do. THANK YOU. So much to learn on this forum.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Former career LEO. -- NRA & GOA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Fake ivory grips while I ponder pricey investment in real thing

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Ken Hackathorn also mention these fake VZ Ivory Grips that have some texture on a video I watched. Can't find it now, but here's a link to them: https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/191.../320-ivory-g10 I purchased a set and I like them and plan on getting another set the next sale.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I am not going pretend that my main reason for white grips isn't that I just like the look. I like the look. HOWEVER, there are at least two advantages as I see it: (1) they don't snag on your clothes, especially when drawing. I had a M&P 2.0 compact that had an incredibly "sticky" grip. The texture, which was excellent for shooting, was terrible on the draw and I snagged my cover garment while drawing and the gun "turned in" and pointed towards my hip. I keep my finger off the trigger so it was fine, but its definitely concerned me. (2) smooth grips are FASTER on the draw. I can sink in a repeatable grip on the draw better with slick grips than heavily textured grips. Your hand just slides into place.

That being said, after you start shooting, the lack of side texture requires a very firm grip (always good with a handgun anyway). Fortunately, this gun has excellent front and rear checkering.

I got ANOTHER set of white grips. These are from wood caliber. I like them because they will make the grips to spec. These are non Ambi compact with Magwell grips made of Holly. I prefer them to the duragrips because they don't shine quite as bright and have a more natural yellow tint. However, the duragrips were $25 and the real wood grips were $80 so that is a big difference for a pretty minor difference.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Guns

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Black gun and white grips do go together quite nicely.

After a weekend of carrying my old CQB around, the checkered grips chaffed my love handle, they actually put imprints of the checkering on my flab. It was a super hot weekend so I didn't wear an undershirt. I decided to put the set of go to town ivory on the piece and it felt much better. Took it to the range and ran some drills with it and it felt satisfactory. I'll leave it on until at least winter. It's not the first time I put the ivory on this gun, I change grips like little girls change accessories on her barbie doll.

If you have to put a compensator on a 9mm, maybe you should buy panties instead of briefs - Ken Hackathorn via Facebook live

Liking a Glock is a version of Stockholm Syndrome. Nobody likes it but they get use to it in time - Countless Victims

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345