Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, I am going to refocus on 1911s and my new carry blaster is a Wilson Lightweight

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Definitely sounds like you should get one of those then.
    If he's just going to buy a pistol, slap some ammo in it, and start carrying it without verifying reliable function and POA/POI with his carry ammo, anyway.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Greg, thoe 9mm 1911 mags are a bitch to load. Buy one of those UpLula loaders if you don't already have one. I preloaded 600 rounds in mags for the Saturday shoot and if I didn't have the Uplula my thumbs would have been bleeding. They make a 1911 adapter which is nice but not critical.

I'd like to grab a EDC X9 for carry. That Wilson tickles my fancy.

Did you buy the Wilson NIB ? 1911 prices are insane but you get what you pay for and WC is top shelf stuff. Good luck with your new carry piece.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-12-19 at 13:09.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    True stuff PB.
    The Tripp, Mecgar and CMC 10 rd mags are a nightmare to load without a loader.

This is one of the main reasons the Metalform 10 rounders are my mags of choice; easy to load and they have worked flawlessly through 6 or 7 9mm 1911’s and 30K+ rds. No loader needed.
    I use the Dawson slam pads, which are metal, for range and the OEM plastic base pads for carry.
    The carry pads I use a knife makers style belt grinder and take the base pad profile down to a nubbin.
    Their 9 rd don’t require a BP.

87561A99-646A-4DBC-9813-E5E91837B4DC.jpg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    True stuff PB.

This is one of the main reasons the Metalform 10 rounders are my mags of choice; easy to load and they have worked flawlessly through 6 or 7 9mm 1911’s and 30K+ rds. No loader needed.
    I use the Dawson slam pads, which are metal, for range and the OEM plastic base pads for carry.
    The carry pads I use a knife makers style belt grinder and take the base pad profile down to a nubbin.

I'm going to buy some of those metalforms. I have the Dawson base plates on my tripps now.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    In Greg's case, he's using a 9 round magazine that's semi flush fit in an officer's length grip frame. His gun does not have the full length government grip.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Ok. So it's a Commander length slide and "Officers" grip frame.
    That complicates things a bit, but I'd use the 9 rd. mags sans base pad in the gun and carry a 10 rd. spare as you point out.

It should carry and conceal nicely.I had a Wilson "Carry Comp" in .45 that was similar that I gave to my daughter.
    I ended up putting an S&A magwell on it as the gun bucked around a bit too much (the comp on a .45/Standard pressure ammo, did about squat) with the shortened grip frame.
    The extra 3/8" was enough additional "grip" for me to shoot well and it made carrying standard 7 rd. mags easier.

Your 9mm should be a dandy to shoot and for carry.

Feedback Score
    Well, this thread was all that it took to get me to do what I'd been thinking. I went to the LGS and there it was... A LNIB custom order Wilson Tactical Supergrade Compact in 45 ACP. I traded BOTH of my Springfield TRP Operators in and got a sweet deal. I was not planing on doing this anytime soon, but this was just meant to be. It was the right pistol for me at the right time and it was not going to last long at the LGS. Yes, this will be an EDC.

Since I only have ONE 1911 now, I opted for .45.. Sometime down the road when my bank account recovers, I'll get a 9mm also. I've ALWAYS wanted a top tier 1911. It only took 50-something years. Thanks Greg. This is YOUR fault.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 08-13-19 at 09:46.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Greg, thoe 9mm 1911 mags are a bitch to load. Buy one of those UpLula loaders if you don't already have one. I preloaded 600 rounds in mags for the Saturday shoot and if I didn't have the Uplula my thumbs would have been bleeding. They make a 1911 adapter which is nice but not critical.

I'd like to grab a EDC X9 for carry. That Wilson tickles my fancy.

Did you buy the Wilson NIB ? 1911 prices are insane but you get what you pay for and WC is top shelf stuff. Good luck with your new carry piece.

PB
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    True stuff PB.

I also use Dawson or Brownells Metalform pattern mags in my STI Trojan. Loading them is no problem at all. Now unloading them is a whole nuther matter unless you are using the gun to unload them.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    IDK, 1911's are cool, but I have always questioned their reliability. Yes, I know there's guy who had put 1M rds throught his "brand of choice" 1911 without a single malfunction, but the reality is I would trust an out of box G19, PPQ, CZ, VP9, over any 1911, regardless of brand/cost.
    I've now been shooting 1911s for just about 45 years. Also teach Forensics, which includes firearms/ballistics, so I've read about a gazillion articles, reports, etc., over much of that time. There are a lot of both myths and legends about old slabsides - with most centering around stopping power (which we now know doesn't really exist) and reliability (which does exist). In my opinion - a well build and maintained 1911 is as reliable as any other well build and maintained modern pistol. Everything - yes, including a Glock, - can be made to malfunction via user error. Carry what you shoot best. One thing I have noted over the decades - aside from the 1911 having a better trigger than just about anything else on the planet - I personally tend to shoot it better "one handed" than anything else. And yes - my red dot Glocks are more accurate at distance, buy I'm sure if I was to put a dot on my DW, it would kick ass at 100+ yards as well!

As always - YMMV.

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe. I used to carry a 1911 also. Bag that single stacker, and get a modern gun: Glock 19, M&P9, VP9, etc.

Your threat nowadays may be a mass-shooter. You don't want to run out of ammo. Modernize now.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast