Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, I am going to refocus on 1911s and my new carry blaster is a Wilson Lightweight

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Maybe. I used to carry a 1911 also. Bag that single stacker, and get a modern gun: Glock 19, M&P9, VP9, etc.

Your threat nowadays may be a mass-shooter. You don't want to run out of ammo. Modernize now.
    Just why. There are million Glock fanboy threads for you to hit. I'm a big believer in carry any gun that you shoot well. If a J frame is comfy, better than your pecker in your hand, if you can handle the weight of a 1911, you know your going to shoot better than most. If you want a plastic wonder, I rock a P320 compact sometimes. Mass shooter as you said . Shooter being the key word. 8 rounds should be enough 99% of the time for a shooter.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Maybe. I used to carry a 1911 also. Bag that single stacker, and get a modern gun: Glock 19, M&P9, VP9, etc.

Your threat nowadays may be a mass-shooter. You don't want to run out of ammo. Modernize now.
    I own or have owned all those guns, plus a lot more. I have a G19 Gen5 MOS with fed type sights. I have Beretta 92s. I've owned VP9s, CZ P10s, M&Ps you name it. They are all fine. None of them can be shot (by me) as quickly and accurately as a 1911. The combination of weight, sight radius and crisp, light straight- back trigger is unsurpassed by any other gun (for me). If you read my original post, the concern about mass shooters is actually what made me think about this. But then I realized what I really wanted was a gun that helped me end a fight fast, not repel hoards of zombies. At first I thought the same thing you did, get a combat autoloader with the maximum capacity. Then I realized none of those guns are as easy to cary as a single stack 1911. They are typically wider and boxier. Whereas the 1911 has a very narrow slide, which is very handy for IWB carry. So I thought, if a 1911 can combine near micro 9 portability (especially in the CCO format) with competition gun shoot ability then it made the most sense.

As far as reliability. I have shot endless rounds through 1911s, and they are reliable. Are they as trustworthy out of the box as a G19? Nope. They are old-world fitted handguns and they need to be tested. This gun has already been shot with a wide variety of high quality duty hollowpoints and a fair amount of ball and reloads without a single malfunction. I'm satisfied and I am carrying it.

Again. This is a gun for me. If you want to carry something more modern, the gun store is awash with endless variations on the Glock for you to buy. For me, I want the gun that combines the attributes I most need: portability and shootability and if that means carrying a 10 round handgun over a 15 round handgun that's fine with me. If I change my mind and I want to favor absolute capacity over precision my Beretta 92G SD and my G19 are easy to get out of the safe.

I really like the Amerigo front sight. I took off the gold bead on my Fullsize .45 Wilson and put one on it so both of my 1911s have nearly identical sights.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Well, this thread was all that it took to get me to do what I'd been thinking. I went to the LGS and there it was... A LNIB custom order Wilson Tactical Supergrade Compact in 45 ACP. I traded BOTH of my Springfield TRP Operators in and got a sweet deal. I was not planing on doing this anytime soon, but this was just meant to be. It was the right pistol for me at the right time and it was not going to last long at the LGS. Yes, this will be an EDC.

Since I only have ONE 1911 now, I opted for .45.. Sometime down the road when my bank account recovers, I'll get a 9mm also. I've ALWAYS wanted a top tier 1911. It only took 50-something years. Thanks Greg. This is YOUR fault.
    Hell yes!! Old farts unite!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I own or have owned all those guns, plus a lot more. I have a G19 Gen5 MOS with fed type sights. I have Beretta 92s. I've owned VP9s, CZ P10s, M&Ps you name it. They are all fine. None of them can be shot (by me) as quickly and accurately as a 1911. The combination of weight, sight radius and crisp, light straight- back trigger is unsurpassed by any other gun (for me). If you read my original post, the concern about mass shooters is actually what made me think about this. But then I realized what I really wanted was a gun that helped me end a fight fast, not repel hoards of zombies. At first I thought the same thing you did, get a combat autoloader with the maximum capacity. Then I realized none of those guns are as easy to cary as a single stack 1911. They are typically wider and boxier. Whereas the 1911 has a very narrow slide, which is very handy for IWB carry. So I thought, if a 1911 can combine near micro 9 portability (especially in the CCO format) with competition gun shoot ability then it made the most sense.

As far as reliability. I have shot endless rounds through 1911s, and they are reliable. Are they as trustworthy out of the box as a G19? Nope. They are old-world fitted handguns and they need to be tested. This gun has already been shot with a wide variety of high quality duty hollowpoints and a fair amount of ball and reloads without a single malfunction. I'm satisfied and I am carrying it.

Again. This is a gun for me. If you want to carry something more modern, the gun store is awash with endless variations on the Glock for you to buy. For me, I want the gun that combines the attributes I most need: portability and shootability and if that means carrying a 10 round handgun over a 15 round handgun that's fine with me. If I change my mind and I want to favor absolute capacity over precision my Beretta 92G SD and my G19 are easy to get out of the safe.

I really like the Amerigo front sight. I took off the gold bead on my Fullsize .45 Wilson and put one on it so both of my 1911s have nearly identical sights.
    “Preachin’ to the choir” bro.

Well said.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

This is pretty much what I have arrived at. I shoot 1911s better than anything else and I have tried all of the modern 9mm's over the years. I just don't shoot any of them as well as a 1911 and with me being on the thin side the 1911 conceals better for me. For me the 9 rounds I carry is better than the 16 rounds in my G19 that I can't shoot for crap. I don't think that either is "better" but I think one should carry what they are most comfortable with and shoot the best. For me that is the 1911. If something else works better for someone else...then rock on with that.
    Last edited by Jermedic; 08-14-19 at 22:22. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Carry what you shoot best

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I thought Greg would be all over this one:

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pist...pact/counselor

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That’s a little too jazzy for my taste

Christopher Columbus

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And.....
    ....a minor consideration for some....

Those of us in the Republik of Ill Annoys could conceivably be be looking at magazine capacity restrictions at some point in the not-too-distant future. That won’t concern 1911/45 carriers too terribly much.

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    And.....
    ....a minor consideration for some....

Those of us in the Republik of Ill Annoys could conceivably be be looking at magazine capacity restrictions at some point in the not-too-distant future. That won’t concern 1911/45 carriers too terribly much.

geezer john
    Agree and made that comment myself in another thread here recently. It's basically one legal threat that's less likely to be a hassle for 1911 shooters. But in fairness, won't the plastic gun manufacturers just quickly crank up their production for options like this? I don't see them rolling over and giving up all those sales due to mag changes.....

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/smith-we...194420000.html

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast