Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Palmetto State Armory Nitride Freedom M4 Carbine Review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Palmetto State Armory Nitride Freedom M4 Carbine Review

I've had a lot of requests to review this set up over the years due to the price/value proposition. So, I threw some rounds to it and here's my thoughts:

Pros:
    -cost
    -7075-T6 upper/lower/receiver extension
    -accuracy
    -reliability to date
    -nitrided 4150CMV barrel

Cons:
    -no T marks on upper
    -recoil impulse is a little bit of a "punch" rather than push
    -barrel isn't MP/HP tested (at least not marked as such)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post

I've had a lot of requests to review this set up over the years due to the price/value proposition. So, I threw some rounds to it and here's my thoughts:

Pros:
    -cost
    -accuracy
    -reliability to date
    -nitrided 4150CMV barrel

Cons:
    -no T marks on upper
    -recoil impulse is a little bit of a "punch" rather than push--which tells one that the gassing is excessive, solvable

Truth is for the average "Joe" not necessarily members here are served "well" with it. Oh my, I said it--
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Truth is for the average "Joe" not necessarily members here are served "well" with it. Oh my, I said it--
    In all honestly the VERY large majority of budget ARs are purchased then never fired or only fired a handful of times.

Some fingerbang them every year or two, but that is pretty much it.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Your part in RED brings up an interesting point. It is heavy on gas. I am wondering if that was done on purpose. The people that will buy that rifle are most likely going to also buy the cheapest crap ammo they can find. That being said the larger port will help run that ammo.

Food for thought.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Pros:
    -cost
    -accuracy
    -reliability to date
    -nitrided 4150CMV barrel

Cons:
    -no T marks on upper
    I’m shocked you even felt that punch with your 24” pythons.

@doc I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the plan. Larger gas port for running all that Russian and East Lithuanian ammo without issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Your part in RED brings up an interesting point. It is heavy on gas. I am wondering if that was done on purpose. The people that will buy that rifle are most likely going to also buy the cheapest crap ammo they can find. That being said the larger port will help run that ammo.

Food for thought.
    Who buys a $500 AR15?

The people who are going to shoot milspec 5.56x45 at $0.30-0.50/rd, .223 Rem target loads at $0.20-0.25/rd, or <GASP> ComBlok Steel case at $0.18-0.20/rd?

Yeah, they buy the cheap stuff. Add the Tasco red dot, with the ProMag 30rd and the $20 bipod.

Also typically people who have never shot an AR15 before, so a little more 'thump' doesn't matter for the 50/rds a year they fire it, then don't clean or lube it for 10 years.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Cons:
    -no T marks on upper
    For me, this isn't a big deal. Several of my uppers get painted which covers any T marks
    PSA traditionally uses a CAR buffer, which is just too light. While testing an 11.5" upper, I adjusted the gas block to go as low as it could and still lock back with an H buffer. I switched to a CAR buffer expecting to have to close the gas flow another click. Nope. It used the same gas setting. (The AR locked back using the same setting for the CAR, H & H2 buffers.) However, the recoil was sharper (punchier) than with the H buffer. Recoil was softest with the H2 buffer. While I would not bet on the PSA barrel being gassed correctly, try an H2 buffer and see how it affects the feel of the recoil.

With the exception of the milspec AR, American barrel makers stopped pressure testing barrels decades ago.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    In all honestly the VERY large majority of budget ARs are purchased then never fired or only fired a handful of times.

Some fingerbang them every year or two, but that is pretty much it.
    ANOTHER REASON: Investment to re-sell under Dem regime. Ive got two, one un-fired, I bought for that reason.
    The one Ive shot, I bought to see for myself if they were trash or decent guns.
    After 3 range trips..1150 or so rounds of Federal M193 & M855 & some Magtech 62gr FMJ... the rifle has been flawless with very good accuracy to 200 yards Ive shot it. Zeroes my red dot at 50 yards, can hit easily hit hand sized groups on a torso target at 200.
    I ran the rifle twice in two different 400 round intense firings, using so many different type mags I cant count, Lancers, ETS, Magpuls, D&H, & 4-5 more kinds, they all locked back every time, & fell free, every time. I like the EPT trigger very much. I got that rifle hot as any civi rifle Ive ever fired, and it worked, every round.
    Ive looked it over from stem to stern, I see no errors or defects.
    More I could say, but let it suffice I feel the rifle is a reliable one, and its loaded now right beside my LMT & Areo Precision guns. They ARE NOT crap guns, mine isnt, anyway. Are they GO TO WAR RIFLES? Hell no, and thats not what they are made for.
    Yall are right, most people "just want a AR". Theyll shoot few mags from the hip, pronounce it "a good un", and thatll be about it for many.
    But damn fellas..everybody cant afford$800-$1500 rifles guys, and still have money for optics, ammo, mags, ect.
    I wouldnt hesitate to grab this rifle & light up somebody's ass with it. But, it is not built like my LMT, or Areo, or like Colts, BCM, DD, ect. And the features reflect that.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 08-12-19 at 19:47.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Who buys a $500 AR15?

The people who are going to shoot milspec 5.56x45 at $0.30-0.50/rd, .223 Rem target loads at $0.20-0.25/rd, or <GASP> ComBlok Steel case at $0.18-0.20/rd?

Yeah, they buy the cheap stuff. Add the Tasco red dot, with the ProMag 30rd and the $20 bipod.

Also typically people who have never shot an AR15 before, so a little more 'thump' doesn't matter for the 50/rds a year they fire it, then don't clean or lube it for 10 years.
    Truth bomb: some folks have to pinch pennies to exercise their 2nd Amendment Rights.

Someone that has an AR, even if they rarely if ever shoot it is more than likely aligned with our way of thinking about an AWB, etc.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score

Palmetto State Armory Nitride Freedom M4 Carbine Review

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Truth bomb: some folks have to pinch pennies to exercise their 2nd Amendment Rights.

Someone that has an AR, even if they rarely if ever shoot it is more than likely aligned with our way of thinking about an AWB, etc.
    Exactly! Any law abiding US citizen who owns a PSA AR, a HiPoint Carbine, or a HiPoint 9MM is an owner of a semiautomatic firearm, and as such, may hopefully vote to preserve their right to own it.

It doesn’t have to be what you own, but if it’s all they can afford, or what they choose to spend their hard earned cash on, and they are lawfully owned, they are fellow gun owners and deserve to be respected as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 08-12-19 at 22:12.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast