Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpul Pro Offset sight PoI off 9"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Angry Magpul Pro Offset sight PoI off 9"

Trying out the Magpul Pro offset sights today and the PoI at 50 yards is 9" right, after I have maxxed out rear sight adjustment to the left. I have some confidence that the sights do shoot consistently as I have a 10 shot 2" group, but 9" right after all adjustments. The upper is Aero and the handguard is a 10" Centurion C4 quad rail. I did not have a problem with the previous BUIS.

Should I shim the right side of the front sight, the left of the rear, both? (I am not going to file off material from the rails.) Any other ideas? WECSOG whack the front sight rightwards with a hammer?

Any suggestions?
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Were your old BUIS offset as well? Did you notice if the front's ears were level when you shot thereby minimizing cant? (I'm trying to rule out easy stuff before doing a deeper dive)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Were your old BUIS offset as well? Did you notice if the front's ears were level when you shot thereby minimizing cant? (I'm trying to rule out easy stuff before doing a deeper dive)
    The previous BUIS Diamondhead rear and Troy front) had been sighted in, and the rear sight was about two rotations to the right of mechanical zero (i.e., close to mechanical zero).

I made every effort to make the ears level with the necessary 45 degree cant to use the sights. To be honest, I was concentrating more on the very thin front sight post than on the ears. But, I did shoot from a front rest, which made consistent aiming with a cant easy.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    First, I would contact Magpul to see if they've had similar issues. It's possible that they were machined incorrectly (or bent somehow). With POI being that far off, even being adjusted to the extreme, something beyond rail alignment, muzzle device influence, and/or shooter error is at play here.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My guess is the rail to upper alignment is off, or the barrel installation is off.

I have a pair of Magpul Pros (regular and offset) that zero perfectly on my Novekse 14.5" and BCM 16".

I have found that to get a good initial zero, it helps shoot with the rifle canted 45 left, bringing the sights nearly level with the ground.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Is the front sight mounted at the end of the rail towards the muzzle? Is there any cant to the rail at all? Did you align the rail with the upper using a solid base scope mount or other picatinny alignment device? What position is the rear sight on the upper receiver? How were you stabilizing the rifle during the zeroing process? If you were canting the rifle manually without stabilizing that can make things difficult. Its a little bit tough at first and getting consistent performance after you have them zero'd is another issue entirely. I have installed magpul offsets on a rifle that I thought 100% the rail alignment was gtg. Went to zero and couldn't. I followed one of Mr. Gunsngear's rail install videos after the fact and used a Geissele mount to true things up--went back and zero'd without incident. If I remember correctly the C4 has a set of screws that go in to the sides of the rail that lock the clam shell together, if you have one side torque differently than the other, that could also pull things off ever so slightly.

I switched to offset RMRs with triangle reticle to make it easier. I also limit the rifles that I use this process to anything that has scope that does not have a true 1x lower power setting. (even with an RMR I can struggle to pickup a 12.9 MOA triangle!)

Just my opinion, offsets are an under 50 yard solution. Getting a consistent cheek weld and alignment from a canted solution is just mechanically very difficult and adds a lot of complexity to your shooting fundamentals. Also, stocks like the LMT SOPMOD really suck for canting, that extra slope works great for normal cheek weld and pretty much screws you if you are canting the rifle. You can definitely train through it and get good with them--its amazing to watch the guys who do. But make no mistake, its a shit load of work.
    Last edited by ryanm; 08-12-19 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is the front sight mounted at the end of the rail towards the muzzle?

It is mounted at the 2nd to foremost slot; if mounted at the foremost slot part of the sight would overhang the rail

Did you align the rail with the upper using a solid base scope mount or other picatinny alignment device?

Yes. I used a Trijicon TA60 thumbscrew mount to bridge the upper rail and the C4 rail (I always use these).

What position is the rear sight on the upper receiver?

Used slot T2. If mounted at T1, the folded rear sight interfered with the BCM Gunslinger Mod 4 (old style) charging handle.

How were you stabilizing the rifle during the zeroing process?

Champions Choice rifle rest midway under the handguard.

This ain't my first rodeo, but it's the first time I have used the Magpul offsets. I have several sets of the Pros, and mount a RMR on a TA33, so I have a basic knowledge about the Pros and canting. Although, with the RMR I am switching to use my left, nondominant, eye. As I pointed out, the fact that I was able to have a consistent PoI, but not anywhere near the PoA, indicates that I am doing something right. But, you never know ...

I was surprized to find that I appear to be the only person who has had this particular problem (at least, as far as Google can tell me).

After borsighting, I expected to have a problem with the elevation limits of the sights, not with the windage adjustments. Tomorrow, I will check the boresighting again, possibly reseat the sights, then give it another whirl. I will update after that, and perhaps give Magpul a call.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Where did you buy them? I bought what turned out to be a used counterfeit DD front sight and couldn't zero for elevation a few years back.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Where did you buy them? I bought what turned out to be a used counterfeit DD front sight and couldn't zero for elevation a few years back.
    Yeah, good question.

Otherwise, since this ain't your first rodeo, I suggest calling Magpul for advice.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Sounds like you have the bases covered, very possible could be sights. For me it was rail cant that was killing me. I can take close up photos of my mbus pros if you want to compare or are worried they might not be legit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast