Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magpul Pro Offset sight PoI off 9"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just to let you interested parties know, the sights arrived at Magpul on Monday, 8/26. I will update when the problem is resolved.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    If the sights end up being legit and in-spec. Check to be sure the rails are level at the positions the sights are mounted. Sometimes, but certainly not often, when the handguard rail is lined up against the upper rail, there can be a slight difference further down the handguard rail. I had a particularly notorious 15" rail that had a very slight slope (corkscrew?) that I had to compensate for. I'm not sure if it got bent through use as it was most likely a manufacturing issue.

Something like this works very nice. https://www.amazon.com/Diameter-Prec...27809669&psc=1

I use something like this along with a rail-attached bubble level. I'll tighten down the bubble level on the upper and then slide the bullseye level down the length of the rail and note deviation. Some results I've seen have been interesting.

Feedback Score
    Were your previous irons the offset type? If not, a possibility could be that your barrel is not aligned properly.

If the barrel has a downward or upward cant, you would be able to sight the rifle in properly with normal irons, but with offsets, the POI would be way off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    tehpwnag3: I did not get that little bubble measure. I have several small bubble levels I use for that purpose (and have now come out of storage)

CAR: Interesting idea. I did not check for that.

Update: OK, so Magpul sent me a replacement set about two weeks ago. I called Customer Service to ask about that (I had wanted some indication as to what they determined about the sights). The very nice person I spoke with said he hadn't received anything back from the return folks, but if they sent a replacement set, then there was a good likelihood that there was a problem with the set I sent in.

No point in rehashing the methodology or equipment for the test I finally got to today (the same down to the same lot of the same ammo), except for one thing: I changed the post to the wider profile, which helped me to get a more consistent focus on the front sight.

The Good: I did get to shoot PoA=PoI at 50 yards. I am satisfied for now and will use the sights again for drills.

The Bad (sort of): I had to crank the sight over to its maximum adjustment to the left to get to PoA=PoI. It sure beats making the maximum adjustment to the left and being 9" off (as with the first set).

I have to wonder if this is a matter of technique as well, but I did make every effort to use the sights correctly. I checked the sights with a bore sight on a Geissele rail (different build without sight problems) and found that the indicated/potential PoI was off to the left by a greater margin that with the test rifle; but, that was with a bore sight only and, as I have now found a satisfactory result, I don't want to start messing with pulling the iron sights from other rifles for live fire tests just yet.

In about a month I will have two rifles without sights that I may use for tests, but I am going to wait until after I try some drills.

That's it for now.
    Last edited by Amicus; 09-23-19 at 14:33. Reason: Typo city
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know this is probably a dumb question, but you are rotating the rifle in your shoulder so the sights are perpendicular to the surface you are shooting from, correct?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I know this is probably a dumb question, but you are rotating the rifle in your shoulder so the sights are perpendicular to the surface you are shooting from, correct?
    Sure am. I have two offset RDS that require 45 degree rotations. If I didn't rotate the rifle, and I tried to look through the sights, I would really hurt myself; my neck doesn't work that way.

Questions are OK. I have messed up plenty trying to do the obvious.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123