Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magazine opinion

Feedback Score
    I’ll be surprised if anyone posts a bad experience with D&H mags, and when you find them on sale for $7 that’s a great deal for a great mag. Most of the ones I own are .300bo specific, never had a problem running .300 or 5.56 thru em.

No experience with Amend2 but they’ve been teasing 6.5Grendel mags for a long time so I did some research, seems to be a mixed bag of good n bad. Too many better choices for 5.56 mags to gamble.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wait until PSA has the D&H mags on sale with free shipping and then buy a stack at a time. I have been running them for years with zero issues.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    PSA D&H mags are solid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    just ordered some thirty round D&H aluminum, Teflon coated magazines and Ammend2 polymer magazines. The Ammend2 were $6.99 (Prepper Gun Shop) and the D&H were $8.99 (Palmetto State).

So my questions are:
    1) are the D&H really mil spec? We're they ever GI issue? (OKAY mags were $12)

2) have you used or heard anything about either of these mags?

3) how many mags per rifle do you think is a good / minimum number?

4) do you think there is a danger of these being banned?

5) what is your preferred AR magazine and why? I've used mostly Pmag Gen 2 in the past.

Looking forward to your feedback.
    1- Not sure if DH is mil spec.
    2- Yes, I’ve used plenty of DH mags over the years and have had no issues with them. Never used Ammend2 and know nothing about them.
    3- I guess it varies, with no official answer. Personally, I’d feel ok with about 15-20 per. More is better though.
    4- There’s always a possibility, and I have no idea what the likelihood is.
    5- I like magpul, okay, nhmtg, and DH about the same. They’ve all been fine in my experience.

Feedback Score
    I have a bunch of D&H black "teflon" coated with the Magpul follower from PSA. They feed. They lock back. They have not jammed. I will say that they don't like to load or feed steel case as well as my well worn Colts and a few Pmags. They feel rougher when loading and unloading....BUT they never failed to work in the rifle with the steel rounds...so I can't fault them.

Feedback Score
    Anyone know who makes Brownells AR mags?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I was a part of a t&e group and we put a ton of rounds through a bunch of different mags and the amend2 gave us the most problems. I would pass and buy Pmags instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Someone said Amend2 mags ran flawlessly for them in a video. They are suspiciously inexpensive. They seemed to load differently than other mags. Does anyone know about their reliability from experience?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I have read that they make their own.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    This has come up before: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-for-Brownells

They have had several contracts to build USGI Mags. The mags they sell on their site are made on that equipment. Here is kind of a timeline:

Brownells Steps-Up Production Capabilities With Launch of Brownells Manufacturing

Brownells® officials today announced the launch of Brownells Manufacturing. Intended to streamline the production of the Brownells-branded products sold by its sister company, Brownells, Inc., Brownells Manufacturing will also offer its engineering expertise and manufacturing capacity to other companies in the gun industry.

“Brownells Manufacturing grew out of our recent competition for, and successful acquisition of a significant contract to supply the U.S. Military with high-capacity magazines for M16 and M4 rifles,” said John Feeley, general manager of Brownells Manufacturing. “Through the process of acquiring the military magazine contract, we recognized the immense potential that exists to leverage our engineering and manufacturing expertise to the benefit of products in the Brownells line, as well as the products of companies that utilize Brownells Manufacturing services. “By partnering with Brownells Manufacturing, companies have the freedom to design truly unique new products, and rely on our engineering, sourcing and manufacturing expertise to get them produced within established cost and time guidelines, with quality that reflects Brownells’ goal of 100-percent customer satisfaction,” Feeley added.

Brownells Manufacturing pairs Feeley with Brownells veteran Tim Dillon, who also leads the company’s Military/Law Enforcement group. Beyond its duties supplying the U.S. Military with high-capacity magazines, Feeley says Brownells Manufacturing will also initially focus on bringing a number of new Brownells-branded products into production for M4 and M16/AR-15 rifles, 1911 handguns, and other firearms frequently utilized by law enforcement and military personnel.

Brownells® Secures Contract To Supply Military With M16 Magazines

Brownells® announced today that it has entered into a contract to supply the United States military with more than 336,000 high-capacity 30-round magazines for M16 rifles in 2006, with an option to extend the contract for up to two additional years.

“30-round M16 magazines are the single most backordered item in the military today,” said Tim Dillon, manager of the Brownells Military/Law Enforcement group. “With this contract, we can help the military meet this incredible demand for high-capacity M16 magazines, and the selection of Brownells for this contract proves that the performance and reliability of our magazines is the best available.”

Brownells also offers civilian versions of their M16 magazines to the public in 20- and 30-round models that are suitable for use in civilian AR-15s. Sharing many of the attributes of their military counterparts, including a welded and heat-treated aluminum body, improved green MIL-STD follower and hard-anodized dry lube finish, Dillon says the civilian-version magazines give up nothing in terms of performance to the military models. Brownells stock numbers for the civilian verssion magazines are:

078-000-107 – 30-round AR-15/M16 Magazine w/Chrome Silicon spring
    078-000-113 – 30-round AR-15/M16 Magazine w/MIL-STD spring
    078-000-106 – 20-round AR-15/M16 Magazine w/Chrome Silicon spring
    078-000-132 – 20-round AR-15/M16 Magazine w/MIL-STD spring

The U.S. military is scheduled to take delivery of its first batch of Brownells M16 magazines in May, 2006, with additional shipments scheduled to follow on a monthly basis.

Brownells Begins Delivering On 30-Round Magazine Contract

Brownells has just completed the first successful, live fire test of their military contract, M4/M16 magazine with the latest follower design. “The new follower is quite a bit different than the green follower that has been around for many years. I’m delighted, and not at all surprised, that our magazine team was able to make a major change and build a mag that ran properly, the first time out,” said company CEO Frank Brownell. Brownell continued, “The government’s new follower was designed to increase weapon reliability for the guys and gals who put their lives on the line, everyday, to protect us.”

Following the test, Brownells delivered the first lot of 60,000 magazines as part of the contract for 1.4 million magazines they were awarded in March of 2009. The current magazine contract is Brownells second, the first for 330,000 was completed in September of 2007

Company President, Pete Brownell shed a bit of light on the testing process, “Every one of the test magazines has to function with 100% reliability, the first time. You don’t get to try again and if one mag fails, the entire lot has to be destroyed. Ours passed the test and I’m very proud of everyone involved.”

And some posts from Brownells on TOS:

Gents,

Any tan follower mags that you see for sale fell off the proverbial truck. We are not permitted to offer them for sale under the terms of the contract, and neither is anyone else that produces that magazine. We are aware that there are some out there, as is the Army CID.

The very first test lot had one magazine that wasn't to spec, and that entire lot is still here, but will probably be destroyed at some point. There have been zero failures in testing since then, and no reject mags. Soo...no rejects have ever left here. Our commercial magazines use exactly the same bodies as the new M4 improvement mags, and in fact, we provided green follower mags under contract at one point prior to the tan follower mag contract. The green follower magazines have the same testing performance. Zero failures. Current purchasing under the contract has wrapped up for now, but we are still making the same mag bodies to the same specs, and they will pass the same tests.

There is a lot of QC that goes into these mags, and they are not re-branded from another magazine company. Made right here in Iowa.

CS may offer you longer spring life, and should, based on metallurgy, and SS should offer more corrosion resistance, but I've never seen either spring wear out.

The other thing is the guarantee. If, at any point, forever, you are unhappy with anything you purchase from us, for any reason, send it back, and we'll send you a new one or a refund.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-16-19 at 12:32.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Thanks 26Inf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast