Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 19 still king of the hill?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Retail vs. agency purchases might put a different spin on it.
    The point I was replying to was about what individual buyers are actually buying--not agency sales and not total market share. If you look at that data, G19 isn't even in the top 10 in sales from Jan 2018 thru now on GB. Again, that's not the total of all pistols sold, but it definitely means a lot of people are buying a lot of pistols other than G19's.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    The point I was replying to was about what individual buyers are actually buying--not agency sales and not total market share. If you look at that data, G19 isn't even in the top 10 in sales from Jan 2018 thru now on GB. Again, that's not the total of all pistols sold, but it definitely means a lot of people are buying a lot of pistols other than G19's.
    As a metric though I’d say individual purchases are useless as most purchasers are unwashed troglodytes who buy into crap like “grip zones”.

Given the essence of this forum we should be more focused on shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're assuming that you know that people who buy guns don't shoot them--a big assumption. Some don't, some do, on real world observation. But do you know exactly what percentages of the owners of all types of pistols shoot them versus those who don't? I don't.....

Also you're wandering from the issue at hand, which was the desirability of G19's versus other pistols in the first place. People are buying other pistols, and G19's are just not as dominant as they once were in the semiauto pistol market. Goes right to the point of this thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    There may be niche guns that the average person will never get full use put of, but anything else is a Glock cover band or a status symbol or a fashion statement

This couldn’t be further from the truth. I guess in a Twitter world, flyby one liners rule the roost. People don’t actually use their own brains.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You're assuming that you know that people who buy guns don't shoot them--a big assumption. Some don't, some do, on real world observation. But do you know exactly what percentages of the owners of all types of pistols shoot them versus those who don't? I don't.....

Also you're wandering from the issue at hand, which was the desirability of G19's versus other pistols in the first place. People are buying other pistols, and G19's are just not as dominant as they once were in the semiauto pistol market. Goes right to the point of this thread.
    It would appear we have differing opinions on the state of the American population.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Most of those “Top 10”s are recently released stuff. I’m also not sure how they arrive at those numbers - is it total shipped to distributors? Shipped to dealers? Either way that doesn’t mean they’re actually selling well unless they’re on for several months. G19 has been in there numerous times, too. There’s no doubt in my mind that year-over-year sales put the G19 at or very close to the top when averaged out.

You’re making a huge assumption to get to your point based on nothing more than “Top 10” lists that lack any kind of context themselves. See above - no doubt the G19 is probably the top selling handgun (excepting maybe the Ruger LCP) of the last 5-10 years. But, that’s just my assumption. And, anecdotally, a majority of people I know who own guns, especially handguns and ARs, shoot them once a year or less - probably no more than 100 rounds at a time.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What about the Gen 4 was a problem?
    Erratic ejection/brass to the face. Some say it is non issue, but I’d argue if you happen to catch brass to the eyeball it could be a significant problem. I have not heard of or seen the problem in Gen5s (including and starting with the 43, technically not Gen5 but sort of is).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    It would appear we have differing opinions on the state of the American population.
    Oh my own observation I think is pretty similar to yours--a lot of people buy guns and then don't shoot them. And the demographic of a lot of the gun buying public--I won't bother trying to make any bogus estimate at % because I can't possibly know, but it's all too many that I've seen--seems to be the kind of knuckle-dragging group you mention.

I think where we differ is that I don't see Glock pistol owners as being exempt from those same patterns. I personally know owners of Glocks, H&K's, M&P's, Sigs, and CZ's, who buy them for whatever motives (SHTF prepperism, mall ninja-ism, military wannbe-ism, or whatever other silly motive).

Coming back to point of the thread, I think a better way for OP to ground this discussion--and future discussions of the 'which pistol to get' type--would be to set some specific criteria and ask people for feedback on that. Either data that they can find and share, or their own experience. Rather than these kind of of vague, wide-open questions that invite trolling and subjective responses. There's all kinds of interesting discussions we can have around that. What has the widest agency adoption, and what are the trends there? What has the widest civilian adoption--what are people actually getting? What has the best trigger pull, and more important, how do you measure/decide that? What is most reliable, how do you measure that? Same Q with accuracy. And then the whole interesting-but-subjective area of ergos.

I'd be more interested in almost any of those discussions around more specific criteria and how the pistol shoots compared to other leading pistols. But it seems like a few of the comments here have drifted into the mode of any gun owners who don't shoot Glocks are retarded fudds who aren't serious about shooting, no other pistol is a serious pistol, etc. I think we can do better than that, here on M4c.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Erratic ejection/brass to the face. Some say it is non issue, but I’d argue if you happen to catch brass to the eyeball it could be a significant problem. I have not heard of or seen the problem in Gen5s (including and starting with the 43, technically not Gen5 but sort of is).
    I assume that you’re guessing that’s what he’s referring to? That would’ve been my only guess too, but to call it a huge problem in an older model and then go on about how M&Ps are so great seemed kind of stupid.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I also had crummy Gen 4 guns. Three of them.

I believe NSSF (?) stated the P365 was the best selling pistol of last year.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast