Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 19 still king of the hill?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yes.

Name another pistol that has been around for more than 10 years with the following the G19 has.

Feedback Score
    I think the G19 is a good choice for a do-all type pistol. Especially at it’s price point and with the aftermarket support it has.

Feedback Score
    The Gen5 Glock 19 is hands down the finest production sidearm currently being built. If the 19 doesn't fit your criteria, chances are good that a 17, 45, 26, or 43 will.

The latest runs with front slide serrations solve that particular problem in the design.

Gen 5s have ambidextrous slide locks/releases.

Gen 5s have aggressive texturing like Gen4s, not quite as rough as an RTF, but not a bar of soap like Gen1-3.

Gen 5s have high visibility followers and extended baseplates, which are aftermarket mods made production level.

FBI sights have all but eliminated the "glocks have shitty sights" problem, as if having to choose from as many aftermarket sight variations as could possibly tickle your fancy was ever a "problem".

Simply put, the latest Gen 5 Glocks, especially the 19s with front serrations and FBI sights, are turn-key pistols that do damn near everything right. After purchase, the only thing they need is a steady diet of ammo.

I can't say the same thing about any of the competitor pistols without caveats of this or that type (holsters, RMR, after market sights, magazine costs, etc. etc. etc.), which is why the Glock 19 remains the king.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Personally I’m looking forward to the CBP contract guns coming to the market (hopefully they do). I want G47.

As to the 19 in general. No other pistol checks all the boxes of needs to be fulfilled all the while being the most utilitarian pistol on the market.

We live in a Glock world and for good reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I own the hammer-fired classics (P226, USP, 92FS, CZ 75, BHP and 9mm 1911) but recently rented examples of every striker fired pistol our local range had. They were all so similar that "what's best?" isn't the correct question. More like "which flavor?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    The Gen5 Glock 19 is hands down the finest production sidearm currently being built. If the 19 doesn't fit your criteria, chances are good that a 17, 45, 26, or 43 will.

The latest runs with front slide serrations solve that particular problem in the design.

Gen 5s have ambidextrous slide locks/releases.

Gen 5s have aggressive texturing like Gen4s, not quite as rough as an RTF, but not a bar of soap like Gen1-3.

Gen 5s have high visibility followers and extended baseplates, which are aftermarket mods made production level.

FBI sights have all but eliminated the "glocks have shitty sights" problem, as if having to choose from as many aftermarket sight variations as could possibly tickle your fancy was ever a "problem".

Simply put, the latest Gen 5 Glocks, especially the 19s with front serrations and FBI sights, are turn-key pistols that do damn near everything right. After purchase, the only thing they need is a steady diet of ammo.

I can't say the same thing about any of the competitor pistols without caveats of this or that type (holsters, RMR, after market sights, magazine costs, etc. etc. etc.), which is why the Glock 19 remains the king.
    Finest production handgun? That may be a stretch...

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelram View Post
    Is the Glock 19 still king of the hill?
    That would be a very SMALL and OBSCURE "hill" indeed...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by southswede View Post
    I don't think there are the same number of folks who run 1911's hard, as there are Gock 19's or 17's.

In terms of keeping one running without a lot of support, much easier task on a Glock.

Then there is the whole 'two is one, one is none' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Finest production handgun? That may be a stretch...
    I kind of agree with that, but.......

I think the Glock 17, so by extension the Glock 19, was the first pistol that you could legitimately say was capable of operator level armorer service.

Kind of set the bar for that.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I dunno. I shoot USPSA a couple times a month. In production, I see usually one or two Glocks; typically there will be a 19 or 17, and often 34.

I see lots of CZ pistols; probably more than anything.

I see lots of Berettas, too. There has been a huge resurgence in DA/SA including a few Sig P226s.

Just because there is a lot of chest-thumping about Glock online doesn’t mean that’s all there is or even that it’s king of the hill. Hell, the P320 has become quite popular. The local gun shop states it’s probably their best selling series.

Oh, I forgot to mention, yeah we have lots of die hard 1911 guys locally! I mean like a safe full and shooting thousands upon thousands of rounds a year.

Glock seems to have a following but I’d wager, like everything, most Glock owners are casual shooters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have several 9mm handguns but my favorite for carry is my Gen5 G19. Mine has a TLR8 attached and I carry it IWB most of the time. Accuracy wise it's plenty accurate for self defense. Every time I try something different, I keep coming back, so yeah, it's my king of the hill. YMMV.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast