Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 19 still king of the hill?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    M&P9 2.0
    HK VP9

Do what the G19 can do, except with proper grip angle.
    No, they don't. The 2.0 comes close but I think you'll find a 5th gens will have significantly more mechanical accuracy then the M&P. Several large federal agencies and the Army have tested the M&P 2.0 alongside the gen 5 Glocks and the P320's and all of them chose one of the latter. I don't have the money to conduct large scale testing like they do, so I choose to take them at face value that there was a reason for that decision. Another thing that irks me is the need to remove the rear sight to disassemble the slide.

The VP9 is about the same size as a G17. It has no significant adoption here in the US, although quite a few major German agencies have picked it up, so I won't ding it too many point there. That said, if we are comparing it to a G19, it is significantly larger with the same magazine capacity. I've never understood the whole grip angle thing. I've been able to go back and forth between Glocks and other pistols with few issues. I think it's much less pronounced on the 19 then on other glocks anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    No, they don't. The 2.0 comes close but I think you'll find a 5th gens will have significantly more mechanical accuracy then the M&P. Several large federal agencies and the Army have tested the M&P 2.0 alongside the gen 5 Glocks and the P320's and all of them chose one of the latter. I don't have the money to conduct large scale testing like they do, so I choose to take them at face value that there was a reason for that decision. Another thing that irks me is the need to remove the rear sight to disassemble the slide.

The VP9 is about the same size as a G17. It has no significant adoption here in the US, although quite a few major German agencies have picked it up, so I won't ding it too many point there. That said, if we are comparing it to a G19, it is significantly larger with the same magazine capacity. I've never understood the whole grip angle thing. I've been able to go back and forth between Glocks and other pistols with few issues. I think it's much less pronounced on the 19 then on other glocks anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I own several VP9s and Glocks. The VP9 fits between the G19 and G17. Many guys with larger hands have trouble with their pinky hanging off the G19. The VP9/PPQ etc seem to fix that.

At this point, I don’t think the VP9 will become America’s LE gun, we seem to be leaning Sig as the Glock predecessor.

Seems the smash hit G19X and G45 were nothing more than VP9 clones in the grand scheme of things. While I think the VP9 is a better pistol than the G45, the sheer number of Glocks and logistics keep Glock viable. I’m like most dudes, heavily invested in Glock. But if I were starting new today, I don’t think that blanket statement of “get a Glock” means what it used to.

Oh, we forgot to mention the biggest advantage of Glock for the CCW’er: safety. The double-action striker-fired pistol won’t have the P320-style drop issues inherent in fully and partially tensioned strikers found in other models. Plus, there’s the gadget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    As was said above, someone stated nobody is running anything hard like they do G19s. That’s bogus. USPSA shooters run their stuff harder than Timmy’s and the CCW crowd.

All the gun trainer celebs are modifying their G19s to the point it’s hard to argue they are Glocks anymore.

Yes, lots of stock 2s and shadows in uspsa production but lots of other guns that ARE being CCW’ed including Glocks, Sigs, Berettas, P-series CZs, M&Ps, etc.

Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    M&P9 2.0
    HK VP9

Do what the G19 can do, except with proper grip angle.
    I used to think so too until I realized Glock’s grip angle helps reduce muzzle flip.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The G19 is reliable, proven, concealable, and has plenty of OEM and aftermarket parts and ancillary gear available. Armoring is simple, mags are cheap, and it is an accurate gun.
    Other guns can surpass Glock in some of these categories, but not all of them; there’s usually a trade-off.

I don’t see it as the king of the hill, but more of a “gold standard”.
    Looking for a concealable gun- start with the G19 and scale up or down.
    Need capacity- more or less than 15 rounds
    Shootability- does the G19 shoot well for you or do you want to go bigger at a possible expense of concealment?
    Holster selection- everything starts with the G17/19 combo, with or without an optic or light. S&W, HK, and Sig will be closing the gap, but it seems like everything else is getting to niche or semi-custom orders.
    New shooter- rent a G19 and then figure out what you want.

It’s not king of the hill (though it’s my go-to), but it’s the standard against which others are judged, and for good reasons.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    The G19 is reliable, proven, concealable, and has plenty of OEM and aftermarket parts and ancillary gear available. Armoring is simple, mags are cheap, and it is an accurate gun.
    Other guns can surpass Glock in some of these categories, but not all of them; there’s usually a trade-off.

I don’t see it as the king of the hill, but more of a “gold standard”.
    Looking for a concealable gun- start with the G19 and scale up or down.
    Need capacity- more or less than 15 rounds
    Shootability- does the G19 shoot well for you or do you want to go bigger at a possible expense of concealment?
    Holster selection- everything starts with the G17/19 combo, with or without an optic or light. S&W, HK, and Sig will be closing the gap, but it seems like everything else is getting to niche or semi-custom orders.
    New shooter- rent a G19 and then figure out what you want.

It’s not king of the hill (though it’s my go-to), but it’s the standard against which others are judged, and for good reasons.
    That's a good way to put it. Glock is to pistols as Colt 6920 is to ARs, the measuring stick.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Fair point.

I used to think so too until I realized Glock’s grip angle helps reduce muzzle flip.

At the expense of pointability and natural alignment.

Glock is popular DESPITE their grip angle, not because of it.

In the same way, say, a Land Cruiser has fans despite its MPG, nobody wants it because of the MPG.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use the Glock 19 as an off duty carry in the winter and a glock 48 in the summer. If I had to just pick one handgun for everything from home defense to CCW I would take the 19 because of the light rail and added magazine capacity. But if the 48 had a light rail it would be a tough choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    At the expense of pointability and natural alignment.

Glock is popular DESPITE their grip angle, not because of it.

In the same way, say, a Land Cruiser has fans despite its MPG, nobody wants it because of the MPG.
    Its all about training and what you get used tooI prefer the Glock grip angle especially at close range. That said I prefer the Gen 4/5 grip angle with no grip attachments to the Gen 1-3.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Oh, we forgot to mention the biggest advantage of Glock for the CCW’er: safety. The double-action striker-fired pistol won’t have the P320-style drop issues inherent in fully and partially tensioned strikers found in other models. Plus, there’s the gadget.
    What is this gadget you speak of?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carry the M&P9. It's like a Ford F150.

But I shot a buddy's VP9. That gun's a Maserati. Way cool. Tempted to pick one up before any ban on "Police-Style Assault Pistols."

Feedback Score
    I honestly dont notice a difference in angle between a g19 and m&p, and believe the issue is blown way out of proportion.

Edit-...if you practice (includes dry fire).

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast