Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Glock 19 still king of the hill?

Feedback Score
    This has been a far more interesting thread than I expected. I got my question answered and then some! It makes more sense to me now that the G19 is the standard by which others are judged/compared to.

I plan to keep recommending the 19 to new shooters interested in Glocks with a heavy emphasis to at least also try the 48, 45, 17, and 43/43X because all are excellent choices. For non Glock people or new shooters that want a cheaper option I am going to continue recommending the S&W Shield or M&P series. There are plenty of other choices, but the main takeaway is that everyone should get out and try several different guns before making a choice. Then practice practice practice!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    What is this gadget you speak of?
    The striker control device which replaces the Glock striker plate. Installed, it provides tactile indication that the trigger is being pulled much like the hammer on a DA/SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I honestly dont notice a difference in angle between a g19 and m&p, and believe the issue is blown way out of proportion.

Edit-...if you practice (includes dry fire).
    I can go between them interchangeably. However, when I run Glock hard I can feel the difference in grip angle in my strong side elbow and wrist.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    ...it’s the standard against which others are judged, and for good reasons.
    I think this is the right answer.

The Glock 19 isn’t my favorite handgun by a long shot. It isn’t even in my top three or four favorite Glocks. For my body type and modes of carry the 19 is just a little too large for many situations, and in those for which it is appropriate I can carry the 17 just as easily. Perhaps this is the reason I own multiples of most other 9mm Glocks but only one 19. It probably doesn’t help that the only Glock I’ve owned that malfunctioned with disturbing regularity just happened to be a Gen 3 Glock 19. It was a rare lemon, yet my bias—fair or not—remains.

With all that said, if someone asked me “what pistol should I buy?” with no additional information I’d probably answer, “Glock 19.” It is small enough to conceal without too much fuss, yet it shoots about as well as a “full-size” service pistol. The gun and its magazines are inexpensive. Holsters, parts, and accessories are easy to come by, and any fumble-fingered klutz who can watch a YouTube video can do anything that needs to be done to it.

Its trigger is mediocre, it isn’t the most accurate, other guns are just as reliable, its stock sights are hated by virtually everyone, it feels like a 2x4 when you grab it for the first time, it is butt ugly, and nobody is going to “like” your Instagram photo of it unless you spend more money than the gun’s MSRP on mods and geegaws.

But it is still the gun against which other guns in its class are compared.
    Last edited by Frailer; 08-14-19 at 21:06.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    What is this gadget you speak of?
    https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/pr...control-device
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Is the Glock 19 still king of the hill?

Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    At the expense of pointability and natural alignment.
    To the Glock novice, sure. It took me some time and I had a love hate with mine for a while. Now, I don’t see a reason for any other handgun (aside from a 1911 for American reasons).

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    When holstering you put your thumb on the plate and it stops the striker from moving which blocks the trigger from moving. Should help with ND if you aren't paying attention to re-holstering and maybe your shirt is hanging out etc. Most people think they need to reholster as fast as they draw and thats where problems can arrise !
    Anyways like everyone says the Glock 19 is pretty much the go-to 1st gun I would recommend and many others would do the same for new shooters getting into shooting/training/EDC. Is it the best, maybe yes, maybe no, is it for ME, NO, I always wanted one and finally got one, Gen4. I had it about 3 months put over 500rds through it then sold it ! I would take a CZ 07 any day over the 19,guess thats why I have 2 of them. Bottom line the 19 is a great gun and will do 100% of what anypone asks of it and it will do it in any and all situations/weather/temps etc ! Mags are cheap,parts are cheap, tons of stuff you don't need is avalabile for the 19 & any Glock for that matter,so buy with confidence shoot the hell out of it clean it and move on,its gonna be there for ya ! Thats my 2cents worth.
    But with that said,I'm going and picking up a used 19X tomorrow for $400 bucks,,,how can you go wrong,LOL !
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 08-14-19 at 23:57.

Feedback Score
    Everyone's still trying to jump on that bandwagon:

https://www.stoegerindustries.com/str-9

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I use the Glock 19 as an off duty carry in the winter and a glock 48 in the summer. If I had to just pick one handgun for everything from home defense to CCW I would take the 19 because of the light rail and added magazine capacity. But if the 48 had a light rail it would be a tough choice.
    I think you are going to get your wish on the Glock48 getting a rail. https://www.gunsweek.com/en/pistols/...tols-now-rails

Feedback Score
    Glock has all the free advertisements that police wear so many of them in their holsters. Glocks have been far from perfect. The GEN 4 thing was a huge problem. They seem to of finally for the most part fixed. But they have been through all manner of "upgrades" over the years. I still like and sometimes carry my G19. And if someone likes and wants one I have no problem with that.
    But my M&P 2.0's have been rock solid reliable. Better ergonomics. Better trigger. And cost less than the newer Glocks. Same with the PPQ. Still decent guns. But I would have someone try others first before the G19.

p.s. the reason I still like my G19 is it has been modified to fit my tastes. Lots of Glocks parts are added to give them better ergo's, trigger, sights and so on. So yo basically end up with a Glock version of the M&P 2.0, SIG 320, etc..

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID RICHARDS View Post
    Glock has all the free advertisements that police wear so many of them in their holsters. Glocks have been far from perfect. The GEN 4 thing was a huge problem. They seem to of finally for the most part fixed. But they have been through all manner of "upgrades" over the years. I still like and sometimes carry my G19. And if someone likes and wants one I have no problem with that.
    But my M&P 2.0's have been rock solid reliable. Better ergonomics. Better trigger. And cost less than the newer Glocks. Same with the PPQ. Still decent guns. But I would have someone try others first before the G19.
    Really better trigger on a M&P that has not been my experience in fact with my friends who like M&P's the trigger is the first thing to go. The Glock is the standard and in my opinion still the best.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast