Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning to get another SBR but one already assembled.

Feedback Score

Planning to get another SBR but one already assembled.

So I have an SBR lower that I built and that was pretty simple. Get the lower, submit ATF form, and then have it engraved once you get it approved. What is the process of getting an already assembled complete SBR? I am planning on a 11.5" Daniel Defense.
    Do I take the lower home and the dealer keeps the upper? At some point I need the serial number for the form. Also since I already have a stamp for a different lower can't I get the whole rifle and just keep the DD upper separated from the DD lower until it is approved and engraved? Then I can shoot the DD upper on my existing lower while waiting. I just send a letter to the ATF with the DD upper's caliber and length. Do I need to get an approved response back or is just sending the letter sufficient?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Ok. I think I found a thread that answers most of my questions. For a complete rifle it stays in jail until Form 4 is approved. No engraving required but you also do not have the ability to put different SBR uppers on that lower receiver. Since I already have an SBR approved lower that I can put different uppers on that may not be such a big deal.

I would really like a complete factory gun. Starting to lean towards getting a BCM assembled lower and register that. Then purchase a BCM 11.5 upper separately. Then I will have more flexibility.
    Last edited by MJDGator; 08-13-19 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJDGator View Post
    Ok. I think I found a thread that answers most of my questions. For a complete rifle it stays in jail until Form 4 is approved. No engraving required but you also do not have the ability to put different SBR uppers on that lower receiver. Since I already have an SBR approved lower that I can put different uppers on that may not be such a big deal.

I would really like a complete factory gun. Starting to lean towards getting a BCM assembled lower and register that. Then purchase a BCM 11.5 upper separately. Then I will have more flexibility.
    I am totally new to the whole NFA game having just moved to a free state. Having said that, it seems like doing an electronic Form 1 on a lower takes a lot less time than transferring one on a Form 4. I just did my first For 1 last week on a BCM complete lower. It seems like the way to go.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score

I would agree with most of that.

I’d disagree with not having the ability to swap uppers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    I would agree with most of that.

I’d disagree with not having the ability to swap uppers.
    Yep. The no upper change possibility is nonsense. A factory BCM or Colt Shorty would be cool, but it's not worth the wait cool.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If the lower is already registered as an SBR, then it is a Form 4 transfer. The seller holds it until the Form 4 is approved.

If you already have an SBR, buy the 11.5 DD/BCM upper, and rock on. No permission slip required.

It is far more convenient to buy an unregistered lower, e.g., a DD lower, possess it while the process goes through, and register it via Form 1 as an SBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    If the lower is already registered as an SBR, then it is a Form 4 transfer. The seller holds it until the Form 4 is approved.

If you already have an SBR, buy the 11.5 DD/BCM upper, and rock on. No permission slip required.

It is far more convenient to buy an unregistered lower, e.g., a DD lower, possess it while the process goes through, and register it via Form 1 as an SBR.
    Yeah it makes me wonder why anyone would buy a complete rifle. Just buy the upper and lower separate so that you can use Form 1. Am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    Yeah it makes me wonder why anyone would buy a complete rifle. Just buy the upper and lower separate so that you can use Form 1. Am I missing something?
    Some people use the “resale value” reason/excuse.

Since I’ve never sold a firearm, it’s N/A in my world.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    You would have a lower that is NFA but doesn't need to be engraved (not easily seen as an NFA lower). That could be a good or a bad thing depending on the situation.

Feedback Score
    Some people are really into delayed gratification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast