So, I lived in Massachusetts for 35 years. Right now you can't buy a new AR15 in the state, even those that have been altered to comply with Fed. AWB. I will tell you that before I left the state I sold an Olympic Arms AR that I'd paid about $550 for and put 5-7,000 rounds through for $1,000. I could have sold that gun 3 times over. I also sold a AK47 that I'd paid about $300 for $1,000. (To be clear, these sales were entirely legal because the guns had been purchased and registered legally and were sold to purchasers that had the appropriate licenses to own them). So you be the judge of whether it's a good idea. Personally, I think new restrictions on black rifles with scary features is only a matter of time. It may be 2 years from now. It may be 6 years from now. But it's coming. So, if you are doing this as an investment, I think it's a good idea. And if you are doing it because you want to own one of these rifles before they're banned I think it's a great idea. Even if a new AWB never happens you can have a ton of fun shooting this rifle and, if you buy a quality gun and take care of it, still sell it for at least 70-80% of what you paid for it. And, if you build your own lower you can pick up slightly blemished receivers and decent parts kits on sale for not a ton of $$$.