Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need Ar pistol advice

Feedback Score

I need Ar pistol advice

I am not new to firearms at all and I would like to ask those that have the palmetto state pistol lower with sba3 what are their thoughts and what about barrel length effectiveness. I need something that is reliable and has decent accuracy enough to hit a man size target and easy to conceal. I always see gunsngear reviewing them on youtube so I need to know how you guys and girls feel about them (palmetto state) and the barrel length as far as how short can I go before reliability suffers. Is there another brand that I'm not aware that offers the same without breaking the bank? Did you keep iron sights or did you go red dot and why? I plan on shooting M193 type of stuff through it but may choose in the future to run soft points in heavier grades and want to make sure I get the right twist.

Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have one of the PSA 10.5 556 builds. I love it for the price. I have hit IPSC 12x20 steel at 300 yards. That certainly isnt the limit of the platform either. I dont know why people think loping a few inches off a AR turns it into a pistol caliber? It is still very much a rifle caliber.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

I need Ar pistol advice

Quote Originally Posted by glockycharms View Post
    I am not new to firearms at all and I would like to ask those that have the palmetto state pistol lower with sba3 what are their thoughts and what about barrel length effectiveness. I need something that is reliable and has decent accuracy enough to hit a man size target and easy to conceal. I always see gunsngear reviewing them on youtube so I need to know how you guys and girls feel about them (palmetto state) and the barrel length as far as how short can I go before reliability suffers. Is there another brand that I'm not aware that offers the same without breaking the bank? Did you keep iron sights or did you go red dot and why? I plan on shooting M193 type of stuff through it but may choose in the future to run soft points in heavier grades and want to make sure I get the right twist.

Thanks!!
    You’ve got a lot of questions, all of which are valid. That being said, every single one has been covered here, multiple times. Use the forum’s search feature and you’ll find hours of reading. That being said, here’s some very general answers but I’ll leave it at these until you spend more time looking around here.

1. 10.3/10.5 is the absolute shortest you should attempt to go and still expect reliability. But it has to be done properly.
    2. That same barrel length kind of sucks ballistically. The longer options will give you better performance in every aspect: internal, external, and terminal ballistics.
    3. PSA is a gamble at best. Some of it (like mine and MrG&G’s) is really good for the money, but you’re always taking a larger gamble than with other quality manufacturers. This board has several that it typically recommends, if you can stretch the budget.
    4. Red dot over irons - all day, every day.
    5. M193 terminal ballistics suck. Get a box or two of the different weight Speer Gold Dots or Federal Fusion rounds and figure out which your gun likes best.
    6. You almost can’t go wrong with a 1/7 twist barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    What distance?
    I like what 11.5 offers over 10.x for 1”
    A lot of people like 12.5, but its difficult to get a 400yd + shooting lane here so I dont think Id realize any benefits.
    Distance and purpose will drive the gear. What capability do you want?

Also, +1 to better ammo. Fusion is great performance/price ratio.

Feedback Score
    its mostly a cqb type setup and i already have an 11.5 upper which sits on an sbr, i rather have a pistol so if i go out of state i can easily conceal and not have to worry about paperwork. I have heard of some people going smaller than 11.5 and it being reliable. I have plenty of toys that will reach out at 300 plus so that is not the intended purpose.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    its mostly a cqb type setup and i already have an 11.5 upper which sits on an sbr, i rather have a pistol so if i go out of state i can easily conceal and not have to worry about paperwork. I have heard of some people going smaller than 11.5 and it being reliable. I have plenty of toys that will reach out at 300 plus so that is not the intended purpose.
    Why not just get a pistol lower and swap the 11.5 over when you’re concerned about ATF stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I may do that but just wanted to see if shorter than 11.5 would work reliably. I won't sacrifice reliability for shorter size though.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I honestly dont see an AR pistol as concealable, at least on your person.

I built an 11.3" barreled pistol and don't feel a need to go shorter; it's plenty loud and "flashy" as it is. I am running irons only by personal preference - 1/4 the cost of quality RDS or LPVO and much lighter. I am pretty confident it will be effective out to at least 100M on deer size critters with good ammunition and further on smaller targets (coyotes and smaller).

The state where I live says a pistol barrel is less than 12" and I wanted to be covered under my Pistol Permit when I have the gun and loaded mags sharing the same case in the cab of my truck.

Either a 1-7 or 1-8 twist should be fine with 77 gr and lighter bullets and those are the primary twists available.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-13-19 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    One thing I forgot to ask was the vertical foregrips, I currently have the BCMGUNFIGHTER Vertical Grip Mod 3 on it but would that a no go since the upper would go from an sbr to a pistol lower? I have read that either it's a Magpul Afg or nothing but then i remember reading somewhere that the foregrip couldn't be straight down as my Bcm has a bit of a rake to it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    One thing I forgot to ask was the vertical foregrips, I currently have the BCMGUNFIGHTER Vertical Grip Mod 3 on it but would that a no go since the upper would go from an sbr to a pistol lower? I have read that either it's a Magpul Afg or nothing but then i remember reading somewhere that the foregrip couldn't be straight down as my Bcm has a bit of a rake to it.
    BCM sells/labels the grip as a vertical grip.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-15-19 at 15:40.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast