Thread: 300 Blackout Rainier Wedge

Feedback Score

300 Blackout Rainier Wedge

Does anyone have any load data for these?

I ended up buying a couple boxes of the hollow points, but have not had any luck so far with AA1680; I've read online that powder likes heavier bullets.

Any load data with H110?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    180gr? Hope you have better luck in that neighborhood than i did. Even 208gr Amax weren't so great. I do the same H110/W296 for supersonic, A1680 for subs. Probably the most used combination out there although lots of other stuff works.

If those Wedge bullets are still in the $100/1000 price range, I can see wanting to make them work. I went the other way since mine seemed to like the heavier. The coated Missouri Bullet Co 245gr (240 on the scale - no idea why they call them 245) are a good economical bullet. Those do work well with converted LC brass, CCI #41 or other SRM primer, & A1680 - for me & lots of other folks. 220gr SMKs are hard to beat, but to me cost a bit too much just for general subsonic plinking round.
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    Delete
    Last edited by attila006; 08-14-19 at 12:13. Reason: forgot to quote

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CMV View Post
    180gr? Hope you have better luck in that neighborhood than i did. Even 208gr Amax weren't so great. I do the same H110/W296 for supersonic, A1680 for subs. Probably the most used combination out there although lots of other stuff works.

If those Wedge bullets are still in the $100/1000 price range, I can see wanting to make them work. I went the other way since mine seemed to like the heavier. The coated Missouri Bullet Co 245gr (240 on the scale - no idea why they call them 245) are a good economical bullet. Those do work well with converted LC brass, CCI #41 or other SRM primer, & A1680 - for me & lots of other folks. 220gr SMKs are hard to beat, but to me cost a bit too much just for general subsonic plinking round.
    How many grains of A1680 and seating depth for the MBC 245?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is my recipe for a 7.5" barrel. For 16" barrel I do 10.6gr & load to mag length or 2.250"

LC reformed brass
    CCI #41
    11.0gr A1680
    MBC 245gr (~240gr actual) hitek coated cast
    2.122 COAL

Also to note....for me at least....I NEVER got great accuracy from 300BLK.....any weight, supersonic, subsonic, suppressed, unsuppresed. From 110gr VMax to the 245gr MBC bullets and LOTS of weights & profiles in between. 3 different barrels. I was never able to work up a load that would give me MOA. About 1.75 was it for me. So I quit chasing precision (got very frustrating) and if I get ~2.5" @ 100 I call it good enough.

Edit to add.....I would take this question to THR handloading forum or 300BLK Talk reloading forum. You will probably find [multiple] people who have used your bullet and powders and can give you better first-hand results.
    Last edited by CMV; 08-14-19 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    This is my recipe for a 7.5" barrel. For 16" barrel I do 10.6gr & load to mag length or 2.250"

LC reformed brass
    CCI #41
    11.0gr A1680
    MBC 245gr (~240gr actual) hitek coated cast
    2.122 COAL

Also to note....for me at least....I NEVER got great accuracy from 300BLK.....any weight, supersonic, subsonic, suppressed, unsuppresed. From 110gr VMax to the 245gr MBC bullets and LOTS of weights & profiles in between. 3 different barrels. I was never able to work up a load that would give me MOA. About 1.75 was it for me. So I quit chasing precision (got very frustrating) and if I get ~2.5" @ 100 I call it good enough.

Edit to add.....I would take this question to THR handloading forum or 300BLK Talk reloading forum. You will probably find [multiple] people who have used your bullet and powders and can give you better first-hand results.

I tried something similar to your load, just loaded them a little longer out, at 2.135". Maybe I'll seat them a little deeper.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You might know this already (not talking down to you but I didn't know when I first did subs), but if you don't good process info for subs..... For a subsonic load, you work "down" vs the normal process of "working up" from a starting charge in a typical reloading situation. So in your case, if those are 185 gr pills, in absence of published data, I'd be starting around 11.8-12.0 gr of A1680 and running strings over the chrony. Looking for ~1050 fps, then an accuracy node real close to that velocity. That's how i did it anyway. But I wouldn't start something that light at 10.X gr and work up risking flashover or a stuck bullet.

But you're so far away from potentially overpressure, if the first few trials are 1300fps, no big deal, just keep working down....

Feedback Score
    You might know this already (not talking down to you but I didn't know when I first did subs), but if you don't good process info for subs..... For a subsonic load, you work "down" vs the normal process of "working up" from a starting charge in a typical reloading situation. So in your case, if those are 185 gr pills, in absence of published data, I'd be starting around 11.8-12.0 gr of A1680 and running strings over the chrony. Looking for ~1050 fps, then an accuracy node real close to that velocity. That's how i did it anyway. But I wouldn't start something that light at 10.X gr and work up risking flashover or a stuck bullet.

But you're so far away from potentially overpressure, if the first few trials are 1300fps, no big deal, just keep working down....

I know that now, didn't know it when I started out, but yep, very good to know!