Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charging Handle Unlatches at End of Magazine

Feedback Score

Charging Handle Unlatches at End of Magazine

I had a 6" 300 blk, with suppressor, using an Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 Gen II. Shooting subsonic, five round mags for grouping. Every last shot in the mag would unlock the charging handle and send it rearward to hit my nose. Not painful, just weird.

What could be causing this on the last shot in the mag?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What charging handle? Grab a BCM if you haven’t and see if it still happens. Either way you will end up with a nice CH.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Could be a bad / weak CH latch / locking mechanism. Could be more. I'd just swap it out and give it a whirl.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you sure it isn't doing it every shot and the bcg is just catching it and sending it forward on the feed cycle before it hits you?

Feedback Score
    As was mentioned, it’s probably occurring every shot. My 9” BCM 300BLK had the same issue with a Raptor CH. I think it has to do with the heavier recoil and the heavy charging handle arms. I switched to a first gen BCM CH I had laying around and the problem went away. But I missed the ambi capability so I bought a Raptor LT hoping the lighter handles wouldn’t shake loose. It seems to work fine as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    As was mentioned, it’s probably occurring every shot. My 9” BCM 300BLK had the same issue with a Raptor CH. I think it has to do with the heavier recoil and the heavy charging handle arms. I switched to a first gen BCM CH I had laying around and the problem went away. But I missed the ambi capability so I bought a Raptor LT hoping the lighter handles wouldn’t shake loose. It seems to work fine as well.
    I have the LT on my 9" 300 (and a couple of 5.56s) and it's been fine. Oddly, earlier today I was reading of a similar issue and it turned out to be an out of spec BCM charging handle in a piston AR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    What charging handle? Grab a BCM if you haven’t and see if it still happens. Either way you will end up with a nice CH.

PB
    Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 Gen II. Upper is suppressed 90% of the time, and that CH seemed like a good design to limit being gassed by blowback.

Feedback Score
    To rule it out, check to make sure your upper receiver's latch notch isn't rounded out. Also, check the latch itself. Both should have square interfaces.

Feedback Score
    I didn't catch this before I posted but, does that handle have a button on the back to disengage the latch? If it does, I could see light button pushes wearing down your receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by attila006 View Post
    Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 Gen II. Upper is suppressed 90% of the time, and that CH seemed like a good design to limit being gassed by blowback.
    Ok, I was thinking that product name was the entire upper not the charging handle including just now thanks to presbyopia I missed the period after "II".

I wouldn't necessarily guess design flaw on the charging handle, but a manufacturing defect is always possible. As tehpwnag3 pointed out, the latch hook and notch have to be square and would be my top 3 guesses along with the latch spring not applying adequate pressure.

Far out guess would be the CH being too long(or some obstruction shoving it rearward) so it is just barely engaging and firing is over coming it. I suppose too short in some way so that the hook is getting a run at the notch could be possible too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast