Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Problem: Trail Boss in .38 Special

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Those are some light loads, but if they work, that's all that counts...
    Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    ~600fps with the 148g is close to the "standard" load I grew up with. I want to say min was about 650-700.

I personally consider those to be close to no recoil, in the 22lr range when shot in in a 4"revolver.
    The 148s at 500-600fps were snappy... Not harsh, but not .22lr level, either.

I think part of the issue is I'm shooting 3" LCRx's, and empty they only weigh <16oz (!), so felt recoil is a lot more than it would be when shooting than steel 4" revolver.

If you go lower you will want to look out for squibs.

Use a penlight to look down into the cases in the loading block after your powder is loaded. You can visually compare powder levels even if well below the case mouth.
    Loading block? What's that... I'm kidding of course, but I use a Dillon.

Knock wood, I had never had a squib load in 25 years of reloading, after tens of thousands of rounds. I understand the danger of getting a bullet stuck in the barrel with such light loads, but I also expect that danger is reduced with such a short barrel...

FWIW, I had the 95s leaving the barrel every time, at down to 250fps.
    Last edited by Bimmer; 10-22-19 at 11:17. Reason: Typos

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Roger on all. My experience was with a Model 13 spith

I'm not as trusting on the progressives if a double charge would not cause case overflow, I wish you luck!

I would have to think super light loadings can still work. 22 shorts do!

Feedback Score
    I'm not as trusting on the progressives if a double charge would not cause case overflow...

For most pistol cartridges, most light/moderate loads are less than half a caseful, because the bullet eats up so much of the case volume...

Feedback Score
    Getting you to try conditions where there was less space for the powder to wander around and increase shot start resistance was like pulling teeth.

I am thankful you finally decided to apply what was suggested in multiple forums over dozens of responses. Truly there is no substitute for actually applying good advice rather than wanting to argue about it.
    Last edited by johnnyrem; 10-24-19 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrem View Post
    I am thankful you finally decided to apply what was suggested in multiple forums over dozens of responses. Truly there is no substitute for actually applying good advice rather than wanting to argue about it.
    Yes, you told me so.

You win the internet!

Feedback Score
    Rather like dealing with a mule at times. I don’t feel like I’ve won so much as survived. The pity was it took so much time and internet ink to get to this point.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456