I wasn't going to post about this because there's not much I can do about it now, but I want to bitch a little and get it off my chest.

I recently received a Form 1 approval, and had a local gunsmith in mind for the engraving. I had heard that it's prudent to do the engraving before filling out the form 1, but I figured this engraver is local and will do it while I wait, so there shouldn't be any problems with a lost shipment or anything like that. Silly me, trusting that things will go the way they're supposed to.

So, the joker (employee) does the engraving, but he engraved my entire mailing address onto my lower. Name, street address, city, state, and zip code. You'd think a guy working for a place that advertises SBR engraving would know better, but no, I guess not, there's dumb@$$ workers in every industry, and I guess it's on me to trust that the guy knew what he was doing. Nobody wants to be insulted by having their customer tell them their job though, so I didn't. Big mistake.

Anyways, I'm pretty disappointed, just because it looks stupid having all that extra info on there. I hope to get over it in the next few weeks because the thing will shoot fine, but it was a let down. I don't see that there's any legal problem either, because all the info that's required to be there is, but it's still annoying. It's like getting a tattoo that the artist mucks up, or misspells something. Makes me want to rattle can the thing to try and camouflage the engraving, total fail IMO.

Ok, I've said my piece if anybody wants to chime in, but just as a reminder, it's good advice to have your lower engraved BEFORE completing your Form 1, or at least micromanage the hell out of whoever is going to do it for you. Stomp all over their feelings if they don't like you supervising, in the end, your the one who will be stuck with the results.

I'm interested in other people's take on the situation, and I'm especially interested if anybody sees any problems I'm not considering with having the extra address info on the lower. I don't want to have rinse and repeat the process to have a (replacement) lower done properly, but I'm considering it. Mostly because of my own annoyance, but certainly if there a good reason to eat the cost of a new lower and stamp, then I'll feel compelled.

Post also if you have a engraving story of your own. Post good stories because, well, who doesn't like a good story? Or, post bad stories, so maybe that will help me feel better about letting this happen.