Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR Engraving Fail

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMV View Post
    As long as you have the minimal section 4 info correct and if you put anything in box 4h you have that complete, all the excess engraving is just that, but harmless. IF for some reason you DID put your mailing address in 4h (nothing stops you and would get approved that way), he actually did engrave appropriately. Assuming blank box 4h in your case though. You can engrave the dictionary as long as the required info is there. So really it's just a cosmetic thing.....and that shop really needs to train the jackhole who did that. Fill or grind depending on engraving depth, Cerakote, re-engrave would be my method of fixing - just depends on how irritating the extra engraving is to you.

Gets a bad rap from misapplication & unrealistic expectations, but BC alumablack can really make engraving blend in & hide on a black lower.

Somewhat of a stamp collector & did all my suppressors on form-1's as well, so I bought an engraver. Very old manual pantograph jewelry engraver. Slow, cumbersome setup, but gets the job done. Not suggesting you run out & buy one, but if you know you'll have a fair amount of things to engrave, worth considering. Or going in on with a small group of buds. Would take a decent amount to break even, but the convenience & knowing your stuff is right.....

OT but kind of along these lines for others reading who haven't started filling out forms yet.......if doing a trust, consider the name of your trust and the engraving implications. My last name is 9 letters. Not thinking at all, I just called my trust "V-------- Revocable Living Trust" which is a lot to engrave & makes for a fairly long line of text. "CMV Trust" or some such would have been soooooo much cleaner. Anyway, just a minor goof along the way that might help someone else out.
    Nope, box 4h is blank, I did have to check to make sure though.

How do you fill an engraving mark? What material would you use? Sounds like a possibility, but again, I don't want to make it worse so for now I'm leaning towards just living with it as is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    That's a option I didn't know existed. I'm getting used to the idea of living with it as is, but I may look into that. What other info do you have to get me pointed in the right direction? Just email the ATF?
    I would call them for instructions. I've done it twice and the instructions each time were a bit different. You will eventually get the refund, but it will likely take every bit as long as getting the approval.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Pappabear's guy put "THE" in front of the "Pappabear RLT". It reads like a college football moron naming his school. He was a little annoyed by it, but I think he's forgotten about it.

He had an actual stipulation on one of his approvals for engraving. I don't bother with the nonsense since the marking description on my Forms don't mention any engraving.

The Address thing is classic. What an idiot.
    other than THE he did a very nice job. I later found out on some of my stamps my LGS added The to my name, so THE must be a thing. I may have lost my mind if he did my entire address.

Engraving is a PITA. One good reason to buy a complete gun.

For those looking to get engraved. I would write it on piece of tape and tape to stock. Write it down as you want it. EVERYWHERE.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-15-19 at 10:56.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    That's a option I didn't know existed. I'm getting used to the idea of living with it as is, but I may look into that. What other info do you have to get me pointed in the right direction? Just email the ATF?
    First place to look is in the instructions on the form.

5. Cancellation of Approved Application. An approved application may be cancelled only if the firearm had not been made or modified. The maker must return the approved application with original tax stamp affixed with a written request for cancellation, citing the need and that the making of the firearm did not take place. The NFA Division will arrange for a refund of any tax paid.

Note that you cannot make the firearm and then change your mind.

FWIW...you have three years from the time the tax is paid to do this.

Yeah, I had my approved form 1 with me, like I'm supposed to.
    Meh. There’s no “supposed to” in that situation. The smith may want to see it, and come up with a “shop policy” (lame CYA excuse), but that’s about it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Epoxy. I'd use Devcon 10710 (because I have it) but something more common like JB Weld would probably be sufficient. Of course you'd have to Cerakote (or whatever) the whole lower, but filling isn't difficult.

Where are you located? Put up a pic of it & might have better suggestions.
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    This^^. You fill the lettering you dont want in with epoxy and sand it till it's even with the anodizing. From there Cerakote or duracoat. If you want to do it yourself you can use brownells aluma hyde.

Feedback Score

Originally Posted by MJN1957: If you haven't assembled the piece yet, you can get a full refund and reapply with a different serial number off of a replacement receiver (hopefully supplied by the engraving shop).

Nuisance PITA, I know...but an option that I didn't see mentioned.

It's very easy to do and the refund comes pretty quickly. Essentially, write a letter stating that the firearm identified on the Form 1 has not be assembled in the registered configuration and that you request cancellation of the approved Form 1 and a refund of the tax paid. Include the approved Form 1 with the letter.

If an approved Form 1 has not been received, you can request a withdrawal of the submitted Form 1 and a refund of the tax paid, but I strongly recommend that you wait for the approved From 1 then submit a request for a cancellation. (it is simply tidier that way and minimizes the risk of confusion for everyone)

From the NFA Handbook, Page 39 (The NFA Handbook is available on the BATFE website)

Section 6.8 Withdrawal or Cancellation of an ATF Form 1 and Refund of Making Tax.

The Form 1 applicant may withdraw the application by submitting a request, in writing, to the Chief, NFA Branch. The applicant may also cancel an approved Form 1 application by submitting a request, in writing, to the Chief, NFA Branch. The request for cancellation must state that the firearm was not made and must include the approved Form 1 with the stamp affixed. The NFA Branch will amend the NFRTR to reflect the withdrawal or cancellation of the application and arrange for the refund of the making tax. A request for cancellation may only be done if the firearm has not already been manufactured. If the firearm is made, the tax liability is incurred and the applicant cannot seek a cancellation.
    Last edited by MJN1957; 08-15-19 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Back over 20 years ago, my father wanted to have a side scope mounted added on to his MAK-90. I took it along with the side mount to a local shop with a really good reputation. When I returned to pick it up, the owner told me there was a problem. His son had drilled the holes for the side mount in the receiver cover instead of the receiver! I left it with him and the owner purchased another receiver cover and properly installed the side mount on the receiver. So much for my father's matching numbers MAK-90.
    Mounting a scope rail on that rifle where he asked for it would have destroyed the collectibility of it anyway, had it been collectible. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), it wasn't collectible to begin with.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Pappabear's guy put "THE" in front of the "Pappabear RLT". It reads like a college football moron naming his school. He was a little annoyed by it, but I think he's forgotten about it.

He had an actual stipulation on one of his approvals for engraving. I don't bother with the nonsense since the marking description on my Forms don't mention any engraving.

The Address thing is classic. What an idiot.
    Thanks for reminding PB. That was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Holy shit I can’t believe the eggheads are breaking out “NFA Bible” to exercise all that knowledge. Thanks fellas. I learned a lot. A lot of what I HOPE I never have to do.

OP, have that crap you don’t want on it ground off. It’s the external of a receiver and I really doubt your lower will break because of it. Why go through a single iota or having the ATF candle this or that. I honestly think that’s just a dumb idea. Bigly dumb at that. Fix it or just let it go. HOPEFULLY you didn’t pay for that moronic idiots work. If the Smith has any integrity he will pay for the work and the subsequent cerakote work to be done. If he doesn’t, well you can do it yourself but I would probably use whatever tools you have to inform the public of his absolutely shitty standards.

One last comment. Every SBR I’ve had engraved, there was a section of the form or document that required me to state in very clear, printed English EXACTLY what I wanted engraved.

Did you not do that? I’m thinking now you may have some responsibility with the issue. I get the assumptions though and may have made the same mistake, maybe on my first SBR, but not after that. You know the saying about assuming or I guess it’s assume but you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast