Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: SBR Engraving Fail

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That’s who was recommended to me by SWFA. I have been using another guy but after dealing with odd hours (off-time job, I get it) and waiting weeks to get it back I’m going with Ident.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMV View Post
    As long as you have the minimal section 4 info correct and if you put anything in box 4h you have that complete, all the excess engraving is just that, but harmless. IF for some reason you DID put your mailing address in 4h (nothing stops you and would get approved that way), he actually did engrave appropriately. Assuming blank box 4h in your case though. You can engrave the dictionary as long as the required info is there. So really it's just a cosmetic thing.....and that shop really needs to train the jackhole who did that. Fill or grind depending on engraving depth, Cerakote, re-engrave would be my method of fixing - just depends on how irritating the extra engraving is to you.

Gets a bad rap from misapplication & unrealistic expectations, but BC alumablack can really make engraving blend in & hide on a black lower.

Somewhat of a stamp collector & did all my suppressors on form-1's as well, so I bought an engraver. Very old manual pantograph jewelry engraver. Slow, cumbersome setup, but gets the job done. Not suggesting you run out & buy one, but if you know you'll have a fair amount of things to engrave, worth considering. Or going in on with a small group of buds. Would take a decent amount to break even, but the convenience & knowing your stuff is right.....

OT but kind of along these lines for others reading who haven't started filling out forms yet.......if doing a trust, consider the name of your trust and the engraving implications. My last name is 9 letters. Not thinking at all, I just called my trust "V-------- Revocable Living Trust" which is a lot to engrave & makes for a fairly long line of text. "CMV Trust" or some such would have been soooooo much cleaner. Anyway, just a minor goof along the way that might help someone else out.
    I agree with you on your last point. I made mine my initials "XXX Firearms Trust". Looking back, I should have done it even shorter but it's not terrible. My last name is 9 characters, so it could have been worse.

Feedback Score
    No horror stories but I thought it was lame to engrave, however once it was engraved I never look at that side of the receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Question... if an individual is doing a SBx, does it matter if it is the full name or could it be first/middle initial and last name? Or even just last name?

I’m looking at doing my TAC-14 to AOW or SBS, so just wondering. My last name is pretty unique, so wouldn’t likely see it pop up too much.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    See post 43 on the reported experience with Ident.

I used Ident once. They refused to laser the mag well opening lip as requested. Maybe they’ve changed but their customer service was slow and lacked assurance for me.

Veritas is my goto. They send an image for final approval of what the engraving will look like before they begin. Full customer care, A+ communication and quick service.
    I have been using them for years. Never had an issue.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fmjoe View Post
    I agree with you on your last point. I made mine my initials "XXX Firearms Trust". Looking back, I should have done it even shorter but it's not terrible. My last name is 9 characters, so it could have been worse.
    My first trust was "XXXXXX Family Special Items Trust" which was a nightmare on engraving. I underwent a radical spousectomy, and decided to expand my stamp collection. As a result I had Sean Cody redo my trust and he basically told me over the phone "Holy shit that's a long name. We aren't gonna do that bullshit again. Your trust name is "XXX Trust" using my initials. Much better.
    As an aside, I have an appointment with Ident tomorrow afternoon. I'll be taking an MP5K clone in for work, so if there are any problems I'll update.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Excellent service at Ident. Took 30 minutes and put engraving in a very inconspicuous location that you have to look for. Great staff, very knowledgeable.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Underside of the barrel and be done with it.

"Oh, I will have to do every short barrel that I own!" Bullshit! People make like they are going to be constantly swapping short barrels, except for the .22 conversion kit barrels. Then engrave that one too!

"Oh, I will never sell it anyway." Says the handful of guys in my state who did F1 SBR's on preban classified lowers and couldn't give them away afterwards when they changed their minds.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

"Oh, I will have to do every short barrel that I own!" Bullshit! People make like they are going to be constantly swapping short barrels, except for the .22 conversion kit barrels. Then engrave that one too!

"Oh, I will never sell it anyway." Says the handful of guys in my state who did F1 SBR's on preban classified lowers and couldn't give them away afterwards when they changed their minds.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post

Ive had SBR lowers for almost a decade. In that time they’ve each had 4 to 6 uppers. Engraving the barrel is retarded on a platform as modular as the AR15.

Also, selling a F1 SBR lower is no different than selling any other lower as long as:

A) There isn’t a <16” barreled upper on it

That’s it. You can also contact the ATF to let them know to remove it from the registry if it makes you feel any better.

If you filed as an individual or gave your trust a very unique name specific to you which is engraved on that lower it may affect the value but you’re already dumb for doing so in the first place.

“A Trust”
    “The Trust”
    “In God We Trust”

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast